Paperweight making

Angelina Copz

Hi there,
I am new to wood crafting. I don't have any basic idea about it too. I am going to try making a wooden paperweight like this http://www.houlthellewell.com/produ...ndly-awards/brown-coconut-and-natural-bamboo/. I liked this design but don't know how to make that cutting. Is it the two pieces joined? What can I use color, paint or wood coat? I like wood coat better than paint but I would like to know whether it is available in different variants?

OK, this is how I would do it:

Take two pieces of wood larger than the final work, with contrasting colours.

Make sure that two edges join without a gap. You can flatten the edges by rubbing them on a piece of sand paper on a flat surface.

Chamfer (i.e. bevel) the edges that will join, to get the grooved effect at the join. Use sandpaper again, or a block plane if you have one.

Draw the triangle on the surface of the joined piece of wood.
Saw straight down through the wood along the lines. If you have a table saw or some kind of stationary saw, that will help, but it can be done by hand.

Sand the whole thing smooth, and chamfer the edges of the whole thing.

Finish with several coats of clear shellac.

Be prepared to do a bad job once or twice until you get it right.

No knowing what tools you have, it's a little difficult to be more precise. What do you have in the way of tools? Getting the right tools may be your first task.

I see this is a Canadian site. Are you Canadian?