New Drawers

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Not that type!!!

For most of us, our shops evolve over time; some things quickly and others not so much. One relatively small area of my shop became a catch-all for a variety of stuff because I couldn't decide whether to put shelves or drawers in it. Finally, after some recent thought and guidance from SWMBO, we(?) decided to go the route of drawers. The purpose was for several things: small cutoffs that get in the way on my lumber rack; miscellaneous electrical items that had been in a milk crate and boxes; and saw blades.

Bad on me! I didn't get a photo of the area before clearing it out to start the project. But picture, if you will, a space 48" wide by 30" high by 24" deep under my miter saw bench, packed with valuable stuff (junk). Anyway, below is a photo after I had installed the toe kick and interior panels.

MS_Dwrs_a.jpg

Drawer box glue-up in process.

MS_Dwrs_b.jpg

All drawers installed and some loaded already.

MS_Dwrs_d.jpg

Table saw and miter saw blade storage.

MS_Dwrs_e.jpg

The blade boards are made from 1/4" tempered hardboard and are 14 7/8" high by 12 7/8" wide. I drilled a 1/2" hole 7 3/4" from the top edge in which I glued a 9/16" length of 1/2" dowel. A finger hole 3/4" in diameter is centered 7/8" from the top edge. All boards can hold either a 10" or 12" blade.

MS_Dwrs_g.jpg

New look for the end of the bench.

MS_Dwrs_f.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Nice:) drawers always create good storage:thumb:

They might look a little fancy because I used some "recycled" 3/4" plywood for the fronts. I've been trying to rid my shop of a bunch of material from old projects. The drawer fronts were cut from parts of a computer desk I built a number of years ago.

Nice job Bill, i swore off using those slides lol that is after having used them on my tool draws. Your application is fine but for me the weight in the draw bent them out of shape. I was being cheap, have new slides waiting for me to replace them. Also think where your draws and case are square, mine probably not. 😕

Nice job Bill, i swore off using those slides lol that is after having used them on my tool draws. ...

I'm cheap! This makes a total of about 70 drawers for various types of storage in my shop. I used Euro slides on all of them. No problem so far. All furniture projects I've built have ball bearing slides.