Pound-a-Peg Toy

Good deal Ted nice that it held up well enough for another young one to take a whack at it :thumb:

Did you have to do anything to keep the pegs tights? I found an LJ's thread that talked about the commercial ones having a rubber grommet and something about kerfing the pegs that I didn't really understand.

....Did you have to do anything to keep the pegs tights? I found an LJ's thread that talked about the commercial ones having a rubber grommet and something about kerfing the pegs that I didn't really understand.

Ryan, The pegs are dowels from the borg that I had on hand. I'm pretty sure they were oak. I picked ones with good straight grain and chamfered the peg ends to resist splitting. Each peg is thin kerfed (band saw) lengthwise through the center line for a little less than half its length, then flipped and kerfed on the other end @ 90 degrees to the first. That creates a spring effect that helps keep the pegs tight. The peg board is a full 4/4 poplar and that additional thickness helps create more friction. Just a matter of tweeking hole size vs peg size to get the right fit.