Steve, just a heads up as I looked into making a set of these chairs a while back. I found a couple of dimensional errors in the article and sketchup file. I asked Jeff and here is the response he sent me:
Thanks for pointing out the problems. And my apologies that they crept into the plans.
Most of these problems arose from my less than perfect drawing ability in SketchUp (I submit rough drawings), combined with editor turnover (Bob Land started work on the drawings, then the article sat for a while, and then Donna Hill took over).
The drawing of the chair on p. 28 has the right dimensions: the back leg is 43 1/2Ē tall and the front legs are 17 1/4Ē. I donít really know why the different dimensions showed up, although I suspect itís because the leg angles back and the measurements may have been generated either on that angle or not.
I didnít put the grid behind the leg in the back leg pattern, but that is obviously wrong. The leg shape is correct, though.
I usually specify extra length for curved parts that will be bandsawn, so the 46Ē length in the cut list is about right. They should have put in that those were rough lengths, though.
I hope that this helps.
God luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the progress.