Thread: how would you turn a burl

how would you turn a burl

A friend showed my a nice walnut burl that he wants to try turning. The bottom is pretty attractive as it is and he doesn't want to mess it up with screw holes. And I agree. But, there is now the problem of how to hold it while turning the inside. This hunk is about 14" in diameter. All I can think of is a vacuum chuck but not everyone has one of those. What say the gallery?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank....Your friend could try using a glue block.... and depending on what he wants to turn....the screw holes for a faceplate could be in the area that is going to be removed and wasted anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Frank....Your friend could try using a glue block.... and depending on what he wants to turn....the screw holes for a faceplate could be in the area that is going to be removed and wasted anyway.
    We want to leave the bottom natural. I could flatten and use the hot glue with aluminum faceplate thing but that would change the shape and appearance of the bottom.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Try turning a glue block that has the basic shape of the bottom and then glue it up.....?

Turn the rest between centers as much as possible before moving the tailstock.....?

I don't know.....I'm just throwing out ideas.....trying to help......
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-12-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Frank, I turned one from an Australian burl that I think might be what you're talking about. I mounted this first on the top of the burl with a face plate. I then turned a hole/mortisse/whatevery you call it in the bottom deep enough to hold a round rosewood piece which became the tenon. After it was glued into the bottom it stuck out of the bottom about 3/4" and it had a tenon on it to hold it in my scroll chuck. I then held it in the chuck to turn the top/bowl of the burl and then parted off most of the rosewood tenon leaving just enough for a base that it sit's on.

I'm not much at instructions but maybe the picture will help to see what I mean.

Mount it in a scroll chuck using a worm screw into the top portion?

Put it between centers and turn a tenon or cut a relief for a chuck. Ya gotta hold the bottom with something in order to turn the inside.

Curt, Jim, that is what we will have to do. Leaving the bottom pristine doesn't appear to be an option. We gotta grab something. Curt, yours look terrific.