Today'a project. A "TV mount mount"

John Pollman

Today's project...

My friends who just moved into a new house have a big flat screen that he wants to mount on the fireplace above the mantle. It looks like real stone, but it's cultured stone over brick. Very uneven surface would make it tough to mount the bracket.

I made this secondary bracket that I can just set on the mantle and with a couple screws down into the mantle, and a couple anchors into the mortar on the fireplace, it will be secure. That way I won't have to drill a bunch of holes into the stone, and the entire weight of the TV will be secure on the mantle.

Now I just have to find out what kind of finish he'd like me to put on it. Then we can install it.

tv mount.jpg

Last edited:
Hey John, glad to see you back in the shop :thumb:

That's a smart design and ought to work out well. I assume the cut out is matching something built into the wall above the mantle?

Installed and ready for him to hang the TV. He wasn't home, and I didn't want to try it myself. He said he will have his buddy give him a hand tomorrow afternoon.

The good thing about this solution is that I only had to drill two 5/16 holes in order to install a safety wire. (one on each side) Now if they change their mind on having a TV up there, they only have a couple small holes in the mortar to patch.

TV bracket1.jpgTV bracket2.jpgTV bracket3.jpg

Last edited: