DW 734 planer cutting head hard to raise

Duane Heda

On my DW734 the cutter head will not raise without using a lot of pressure and then there is a loud bang and the cutter head will raise a tiny bit. I have taken off the side panels and cannot see anything obvious that is causing this. What could be the problem?

Thanks,

Duane

I don't have that planer, but isn't there a lock bar on it? Is it getting stuck by chance and not releasing?

Also are both screws moving when the handle is moved?

Last edited:
I have to pull the top and dust cover off mine and clean out the sawdust, it tends to collect around the gears. Compressed air is a must....with dust mask:)

I would suggest a really good cleaning AND some serious lubrication

Move up a tiny bit - then down a tiny bit

More cleaning and lube

more up and down

repeat until you have good free movement

After - clean up as much excess lubricant as possible

I like a penetrating lube. Light spray stuff like wd40, but that not the only one

Had the same problem this afternoon. Fought that sucker to a stand still then lubed up the 4 corner posts and worked up and down a few times and freed the unit up. I also have a collar on right side screw drive that floats free. This will lock up unit when it's all the way down. I know it should be fastened somewhere but cannot figure how it is locked down. It works so don't try to mess it up.
For lube I use wd40 silicon spray. Not supposed to treat and hold dust. Just be careful to not get any on wood. WD 40 will over time gum up gears.
David