Ceiling Air Cleaners

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
This came up in Drew's thread and Rennie was interested. So am I. Where on the ceiling?

I am thinking the floor plan has a part to play as well. I am drawing house plans and laying out electrical needs, so this is relevant. In Nevada the big (600+ SQFT) garage was a squarish rectangle. I put the air cleaner on the ceiling against one long side wall and it worked real well there. Also was not in the way of swinging boards, etc.

The new shop is longer and more narrow so I am now wondering if that will still work. It is an attractive idea for a number of reasons, not the least of which is aesthetics. My basement shop will have 8' ceilings, so cluttering up the ceilings will large objects contributes to the claustrophobic feeling of a cave, though it will be brightly lit. I don't want to go higher with the ceiling because I am already flirting with a looming exterior effect of a two story house on a tiny lot. And the next owner may not use that space in the same way.

Heating is not an issue for me, so I am unconcerned with combustible air and possible air starvation of a furnace or stove. I wil have a small propane furnace for the house but the combustible air will come from the outside. Most of the heat will come from solar heaters.

So what thinks the brain trust with regard to the location of an ambient fine particulate air cleaner in these circumstances?

Is there duct work with intake or outgoing air in the shop? Is the furnace also in the basement?

I am wondering if maybe instead of one air cleaner, maybe two, circulating air around the room, while cleaning air before it goes through the furnace. You say the heat isn't the issue, but is this central air, going through the furnace?
With two air cleaners, you would get air movement, could make them smaller units, and turn them on singular or in conjunction as needed. Just my thoughts, worth what you paid.:eek:

Last edited:
:lurk:

My theory is that you want to pull the air away from where you have the dust and figure how to have it recirculate clean back out. For narrow and long my completely non scientific guess is either near the entrance end or in the back depending on whether the front is closed or not.

Is there duct work with intake or outgoing air in the shop? Is the furnace also in the basement?

The furnace can be in its own 'room' with a filtered door for air intake and/or ductwork from the outside for combustion air. I think that answers both of your questions. Other duct work will bring air to the upper floor and the bedroom over the garage. And more ductwork for dust collection from major tools to an enclosed dust collector.

I do like Ryan's suggestion of either end. I don't plan to buy another air cleaner, but a small fan at the opposite end would move the air along, setting up a gentle circular flow.

That was helpful. Thanks, John. Confirms a few of my ideas, too. Also causes me to think about where the sanding area will need to be.

i put mine next to the table saw and drum sander to get the fines that arent collected by dust collector i can see the difference on a bust day, it does take out the finish odors that sometimes back fill the main shop area. use a prefilter over the carbon filter to prolong its life.

The furnace can be in its own 'room' with a filtered door for air intake and/or ductwork from the outside for combustion air. I think that answers both of your questions. Other duct work will bring air to the upper floor and the bedroom over the garage. And more ductwork for dust collection from major tools to an enclosed dust collector.

I do like Ryan's suggestion of either end. I don't plan to buy another air cleaner, but a small fan at the opposite end would move the air along, setting up a gentle circular flow.

Not entirely. My ductwork point, has to do with having a vent where you might be blowing a/c into your shop, say in summer.
I didn't figure you for buying an air cleaner, but resourceful enough to get squirrel cage fan and build your own. If you build your own, and since the air conditioning doesn't run constantly, if you did have a vent, putting cold air into the shop, then I thought you might want a homemade unit, sucking air close to the vent and pushing away, so the dust won't go in when it isn't running. Of course another option is just to put a filter over any vents in the shop.

To clarify. I have an air cleaner and in the past I have built my own. I just don't see the need for two at this point, as Ryan suggested. Also there will be no 'conditioned' air in the shop, either cooled or heated most of the year. The house will not have air conditioning either. I pay a sunshine tax :) for living in Southern California in a multitude of ways, having air conditioning is outside of my wallet. Maybe some heat in the winter but have a solar plan for that, so that eliminates ignition issues. The combustable air for the propane furnace will be outside air.

Thanks, guys. You got the ol' noodle working, thinking about a number of issues for the basement/shop area and how it will be divided up. Gotta run. Day job calls.