Acoustic Guitar Neck Joint Fixture

Jason Beam

In this episode we begin the process of building a neck joint fixture for guitars. It will also serve well as a tool for doing the heel graft inlay as well. First steps are to cut up all the parts and assemble the base.

Thanks for watching!

This week, the routing templates get cut on the CNC and fitted to the fixture. After that, i set about making the vise that will hold the body in place while routing. Things are moving along well!

Thanks for watching!

A good jig is so satisfying in and of itself. Very nice. Hmmm, I need to get some of those hold downs like you have and drill some more holes in my workbench.

I've got a cast iron hold fast I use all the time, but it's prone to marking the workpiece I always use a little block of wood to protect the workpiece. Those look like they'd not be so prone to that?

They'll ding pretty good, too -i've always used a scrap block on parts that matter, too. I've seen some guys stick leather or felt to the holdfast but even then it can still mark the surface ... seems the scrap block is the tried and true solution to avoid that, i guess.

This episode, I finish up getting the 'neck flap' mounted to the fixture with a little creative clamping. Then I also get the body vise jaws made and mounted so that part is done. After that, a little template mounting and things are almost done. Just a couple more pieces and we can start test cutting!

Thanks for watching

This week the jig is completed by making the neck clamping system and then doing a couple of test cuts to ensure the templates work correctly. The final results are quite surprisingly good and I'm very pleased with how the jig turned out.

Thanks for watching!