Almost Woodworking

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Most of my shop machines are still in storage since the move from LA, and the garage is still pretty congested with non-shop stuff. Still, I managed to use a few woodworking tools this weekend. I came closer to actual doing woodworking than I have in a long time. I'm assembling a new Partscaster out of various bits and pieces I've collected over the past couple of years (finally found a neck I liked for it last week), and had reason to need the drill press and some sharp chisels.

First, I had to get the drill press fully set up with the bigger T-track table. It's one of the few woodworking machines I have at the house right now. I've had the table sitting in a box next to the drill press for a year or more...just hadn't had the need for it previously. Once set up, it made things much easier for drilling the holes to mount the bridge plate and string grommets. (The strings mount through the body.) Sorry, no pics as evidence. But trust me, it happened. First there were no holes...then there were holes. Just like that!

Next, I needed to deepen and tweak the angle of the neck pocket on the body, so I got to bust out the good wood chisels, which have also been boxed up since our arrival to NM. The neck pocket had been finished, and I needed to remove some of that finish, as well as remove a bit of wood. I wanted to use a beater chisel on the finish, and save the good chisels for the wood. Of course, the 3/4" Craftsman beater chisel I wanted to use had a dinged-up edge, so that meant getting out the sharpening gear, which has also sat idle for way too long. After a bit of quality time on the waterstones, the Craftsman chisel was whole again and ready to take on whatever finish the Chinese folks sprayed on the guitar body. When it was time to trim the wood part, my 3/4" Three Cherries was already very sharp and ready to go. It made short work of the 1/16" to 3/32" I trimmed off. I've attached photo evidence below. :)

I'll save the final reveal for when I've got everything put together, but if it all works out as planned, it should be a pretty good-looking little Tele copy when it's done. Not really woodworking, but there is at least wood involved. :D

Neck Pocket Trimming 1024.jpg

Keep on keeping on. Parts and pieces will sort themselves out in time. Now you a few tools out. Now to look for the next project and more tools.
David

I thought I felt a disturbance....and there was that earthquake in Oklahoma. Be very careful. The harmonics from a sharp Three Cherries can warp the time space continuum, add years to your life and give you sudden urges to......well, just be careful.