Belt sander went "pop"

Tom Baugues

Tonight while running my Craftsman belt sander I heard a loud "bang" then the sanding belt and disk came to a stop but the motor kept running. I shut it off but didn't have time to look it over. Does anyone know if these are belt driven off the motor? I don't have a manual and couldn't tell how to get it open but I was in a hurry to leave.
ad71e116cd855ad3a61b6a60cee2b9d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I believe that is the belt housing below the disc and table. You should find a breakdown of the sander on the parts store if you search by Model number.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Well I'm screwed now. I broke the aluminum disk trying to get it off the shaft. I was able to get the set screw out ok but the disk would not pull off. In my effort to "persuade" it off I broke it and guess what???? The disks no longer available It's just a 6" disk with a hub. I'll have to look around and see if I can find something from a different manufacture.
Sander.jpg

Looking up parts. Found a replacement disk.......$42.00. :eek: That's more than I paid for the whole sander...so...looks like I'll go shopping for a new sander. I hate to throw out a good working machine just because of this.

Grizzly has a similar sander with a 6" disk. $115 for the whole thing.

They're pretty good about having parts available. Might fit. Worth a look.

Looks like you could probably make a new disk out of a piece of MDF with a hub epoxied onto it?

Or JB weld the one you broke.

What is the prefix for that model? Looks pretty similar to the one on the Ryobi, which is available for around $10.
BD46091 Sanding Disk

Model number is 113.226424 It's a 6" aluminum disk. I'll take it to work with me next week and see if our welder can maybe fix it. If not I'll keep my eyes out for another deal on Craigslist or maybe Santa will hear my wishes. :santa:

That is a bummer, I'd probably go the welding route also, should be repairable from what I can see. I guess worst case you could put a new belt on and still have a belt sander.

If you use it a lot now might be a good time to upgrade to a bigger more powerful one if space permits. I personally wouldn't weld because even if you can get the disc straight the balance will be more than likely off. And a wobbly disc is a pain.

This sander is a pretty common design so I have looked at other brands and the disk for them I found that many of them are also listed as "discontinued". I can get a Ryobi disk but have not been able to confirm what shaft size it takes just yet.

I hate that when something like that happens. I bought several years ago a Craftsman bandsaw and it seems to always have some little something go wrong with it. First the little guide rollers weren't lasting and on and on. If you can manage it, budget and space, I'd just get a new one from someone else. To me Sears stuff just ain't what it used to be. That is my humble opinion. I know for sure one way or the other after the first of the year there will be a new bandsaw in my shop with the name Grizzly on it. I had a Ryobi belt sander similar to yours and I kept breaking the belts on it. I don't know if it is because I was going with too heavy of pressure on it or what. But, I do have one of Ryobi's hand belt sanders, a little 3x18, that won't die! Good little sander. Anyway, good luck on your endeavors. I go with Tom Bussey on the not welding it part. The balance may end up being a big problem for you.

Tom, I think I have a cheapie that died on me still in a pile. I will try to remember to look tonight and see if I can get an outside measurement. Then will need the diameter of the shaft it rides on. If I have it and it will work, you can have it. Probably cheaper to mail it to you than you drive up to get it. We'll see if it works.

Tom, I think I have a cheapie that died on me still in a pile. I will try to remember to look tonight and see if I can get an outside measurement. Then will need the diameter of the shaft it rides on. If I have it and it will work, you can have it. Probably cheaper to mail it to you than you drive up to get it. We'll see if it works.
Shaft looks to be about a 3/8" shaft. Micrometer reads 0.92 which is just over 3/8" but I suppose it could be a 10mm metric shaft.

I wandered in my shop last night wondering why I was supposed to be there and even though I passed by that sander a couple of times, I did not realize that is what I was supposed to be looking at. Will be in the shop tonight and hopefully remember and get back to you yet tonight. Sorry for the old timer's moment on my part. :eek: