Storage box question

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I want to break out my iBox jig and make storage boxes to put on shelves in my new shop. I know Glenn uses plastic shoe boxes from the borg, so I wonder if that is an optimum size. I can go measure a box but I really would like to know if a smidge here or there would make a more useful size. Ultimately I envision maybe three sizes of boxes, but I have to start somewhere.

What will go in them, you ask? I'd like to sort out odds and ends into related items and store together. First example that comes to mind is my color charts, powdered dyes, fixit color pens, melt-in patch (or whatever you call it), etc.

Glenn? Anyone?

Carol this is a good question you ask, i have been through and gave all sorts of plastic boxes. Either they too small, too shallow or too narrow.
The most successful option for me has been one that ikea sold here.
But even those were not available with a lid . Here is a link with dimensions.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30298023/

Also have a couple of these, they worked well for small cans of finish
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50308002/

I guess part of the issue is how much of each item you have to store.
Be interested to see what others say. I will say these two worked to help me get sorted very quick after my latest move.

Hi, my name is Rennie and I'm a control freak.:rofl:

I have a few of the plastic boxes with lids that are a size smaller than a shoebox because they fit in the 11" deep cabinets allowing the door to close. They hold things like my hot glue gun and sticks, etc. Like things together. I also have several shoebox size boxes that fit in the lower cabinets and drawers that hold everything from electrical supplies, sanding drums, soldering iron and solder/flux, etc. Where they are stored in the upper cabinets and only the end is visible I use my label maker to identify the contents.

Now is probably a good time to check costco out for storage boxes.

They usually have 2 sizes. One is about the right size for storing shoes, and the other is a bit larger.

I've got a bunch of them in the garage that I use for storing things.

storageboxes.jpg

Good size, Brent? Care to measure them for me and save me a trip to Costco with the zanyville parking lot?

One reason, besides the obvious, for wooden boxes, is straight walls. I want mine to have box joints, sliding lid, pull handle and label. The bottoms will be 1/4" Melamine and I will prefinish the sides and ends before assembly. The lids will be 1/4" BB plywood, also pre-finished. Just gonna spray whatever I have around to use it up, if it is still good. Otherwise a decent water-based poly. Might be a good time to experiment with some finish!

I can start sorting my trailers and make the move in much nicer from the get-go. I will build shelves to fit so that is not an issue.

What a joy it will be to find stuff I know I have again!

The nice thing if you made wooden ones is that you can make the most efficient use out of the ply for making the cabinets. I had to size my shelves to fit the boxes, and that did not make for all that efficient use of the ply.

The wooden ones will be much sturdier as well.

Costco doesn't always have the boxes in stock either. We use these for all kinds of things and have a stash of them out in the storage unit.

Small = 7" x 12" x 4"
Big = 10" x 14.5" x 5"

The ones I use are from Wal-Mart for about 90 cents each; Costco is a bit higher. When it comes to your storage approach I can tell you what probably any other organization freak will tell you . . . There will always be something that doesn't fit the model. I find the shoe boxes ideal for things like glue/epoxy, jig parts, sharpening supplies, dust collection and edge guide accessories for routers and ROS, string and twine, tape and velcro, small scraps of exotics, light bulbs for machine lamps and so on. I will say that at the price, it pays to by extra (more extra than you think you'll need) so you will not get stuck with odd ball dimensions if you need a few more in 6 months.

The next size up in my chosen storage scheme is a 12.9 quart size from Costco. They do not show in their website but, in SoCal they are sold as Costco item #877572 . . . "Buckle Up Storage Set" and they come in a pack of 6. If you are already at Costco getting these I would just get the shoe boxes there too. The difference probably won't pay for your gas to Wal Mart ;-)

Once you get beyond this size I stick with drawers or shelves. 12 gallon storage bins are too large for daily use (although I use this size in the shed). they become too heavy or awkward for routine storage of quick-access stuff. I found I was doing things another way rather than fight the 12- 15 gallon bin size down off the shelf to get to what I knew was in there. Sounds dumb I know, but, it turned out to be true. This led me to the smaller bins.

So . . . .

Small storage:
I now have "Plano" compartment boxes for small parts (screws, hinges, knobs, nuts/bolts, washers, bumper feet). The Plano versions vanished from their lineup but, the Harbor Freight version, while not as resilient, have worked for about a year so far without the expected failures so, I would not hesitate to go there.

Medium storage:
the plastic shoe boxes from Wal Mart.

Larger storage:
The 12.9 quart Costco bins.

Big stuff:
Drawers, shelves or out to the shed ;-)

Thanks, Brent.

Now some SketchUp work to determine cutting procedures and we're off!

Well, after some other work happens. Sigh....

Thanks, Glenn.

I have the larger 'box' storage issue solved. A couple of year ago I went on a used file cabinet buying spree. Nice large drawers on really good glides. They hold some really heavy stuff with no problem. When I get to move in, I will give them a new paint job.

Now for the smaller storage solution.

Currently I am envisioning a 'chest' of boxes. We'll see how it goes.

Brent offered up the sizes so I have a ballpark to play in.

Carol,
What little organization there is in my shop comes from a combination of these clear plastic Hefty boxes from Lowe's. The come in several sizes and they are designed to stack. Unfortunately, they do not have straight sides or crisp right angle inside corners. They are very handy....big enough to hold a lot of 'stuff', but not so big they are too heavy to lift....yet.
IMG_3431.jpgIMG_3433.jpgIMG_3440.jpg

I also have several old heavy duty four drawer file cabinets from Craig's list @ $10 a piece with added castors for mobility. I bought a bunch of the deep sturdy plastic compartmented organizer boxes back when they were reasonably priced and they stack nicely on shelves or the top of the file cabinets and are very handy for small items.

IMG_3438.jpgIMG_3439.jpg

A lot of my wood scraps are stored in the heavy duty boxes that fruit comes in from Costco and Sam's club. They stack well, but what I want is usually in the bottom one. Of course that holds true for everything you stack:p

For what it's worth, I made my wall cabs 30" tall by 34" wide.

That fits either 12 of the large boxes (4 shelves of 3 boxes), or 20 of the small boxes (5 shelves of 4 boxes) per cabinet.

I've gone through about 40 of the clear shoe boxes from HD. I have most of them stored either on metal shelves, but found I can fit several in my 2 lateral file cabinets (no drawers) and still close the doors on them. I keep two of the dymo label printers around and label for contents. I just got a larger pc connected label printer so I can be a little more detailed on the contents.

I got the iBox jig a while ago and its the cat's meow for box joints. I also have a small bench top table saw that it works extremely well with, so the bigger part of the job will be to mill pieces to size. This far, with the size boxes that Brent posted, I can get the sides and ends of 12 big boxes and 3 small boxes out of one sheet of Baltic Birch plywood. I plan on double sided 1/4" Melamine for the bottoms and 1/8" plywood for the sliding tops. Not storing gold bullion so this should work just fine. :)

I got the iBox jig a while ago and its the cat's meow for box joints. I also have a small bench top table saw that it works extremely well with, so the bigger part of the job will be to mill pieces to size. This far, with the size boxes that Brent posted, I can get the sides and ends of 12 big boxes and 3 small boxes out of one sheet of Baltic Birch plywood. I plan on double sided 1/4" Melamine for the bottoms and 1/8" plywood for the sliding tops. Not storing gold bullion so this should work just fine. :)

No pics available, but I've made a number of boxes from ½" BB using the IBox set for a ¼" joint. Works great! I generally have used ¼" stock for the tops and bottoms - just leave the dado blade in the saw and cut the grooves. Saves a blade change (lazy :D ).

I've got electrical meters, soldering equipment, metal cutting shears, and other odds & ends stored in boxes like that.

I like the idea of doing 1/4" box fingers and 1/4" bottoms. I made this prototype with crappy ply and 3/8" fingers.

I need to make about 9 of these, and a suitable storage cabinet out of decent wood once I get the project that must not be named completed....

storagebox45s.jpg

Well I am real late to the party. I should have read this before I went to the shop and shed and took pics.

I, too, like square corners and vertical sides. However, in practice I find that has only applied to one box in the dozens I am using.
I like the plastic boxes because they are light. I try to keep the weight of each box low so I won't do what Glenn said about finding another way to do something because what he wants is in a heavy box in an awkward location.

The shop and shed and what goes in which box is in a major transition so play like you cannot see the mess. The shelves in the shed were inexpensive. The shelves are adjustable and the width is good for several sizes of boxes I use.

Pics names are Boxes Storage(#)

2) is above the lathe (full set of drawers under the lathe for lathe stuff). They are 12x7.5x3. It is bit of a stretch for my small body so they contain things I use, but not often (e.g. unusual scissors and shears).

4) 15x8.5x5.5 These are on the Home Depot shelves out in the shed and contain light bulbs, electric wiring stuff, plumbing stuff, etc.

5) Shoe box 11x5.5x5. These are just plain ole handy. I have them in the shop, the house, and the shed. There is one in the shed, one in the shop and one in the house that hold appropriate gloves for that area.

6) San Francisco coffee boxes. These neatly hold small boxes of electric wiring stuff like wire nuts and romex staples, they are a great size for rattle cans. COSTCO uses this size to sell Keurig coffee pods, 160 per box. I have tank vacuum attachments in one, for example. I have my collection of power strips in another.

7) The Newman's coffee box size is used by many companies selling 36 to 80 Keurig coffee pods. I have my odd ball, 30 ft and under extension cords in these boxes.

Case of 8.5 x 11 paper boxes hold all off season clothing and bedding. They stack beautifully in the attic and are light to take up and down. $1.00 each at Staples. You get to choose the boxes so pick the good ones.

My BIG RULE is that I want boxes that are the same size and that will stack neatly if I wish. I would much rather have a box that is 3/4 full than have an odd size box that creates chaos with the others.

Sorry this was not more detailed. I had some Avastin injected into my left eye and it would like to go to bed. If you ever need the procedure don't worry about it. It sounds spooky but there is no hurt or pain. Looking at the bright light was the worst part. The eye just feels like it has been out in a cold breeze. They say it will be fine tomorrow.

Enjoy,
JimB

Attachments

• Boxes Storage (2).jpg
    Boxes Storage (2).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Boxes Storage (4).jpg
    Boxes Storage (4).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20
  • Boxes Storage (5).jpg
    Boxes Storage (5).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Boxes Storage (6).jpg
    Boxes Storage (6).jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Boxes Storage (7).jpg
    Boxes Storage (7).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Not really going to be very constructive in my reply here, but I agree that you can probably get a couple of storage boxes a lot cheaper from somewhere to test out for size and then make them on your own or tweak them as you need after using them for a bit. Everybody's needs may be a little bit different so best to play around and have a bit of trial and error. But wishing you all the best. I think there's plenty of advice given already that'll help you out!