cabinet saw for small shop

Here's a question we got recently:

"What is the best cabinet saw; Powermatic 2000, powermatic 66, Jet,
or Delta?"

I asked for a little more detail (best doesn't indicate much ;) and got this in response:

"Thank you for responding to my email so quickly.

The main job for my cabinet saw is ripping from 4 1/4 to 10 1/4 hardwood
lumber and occassional dadoes. I run a small shop and do a gambit of
projects from building custom made furniture to restoring antiques.

Thus far I have my choices down to two saws: Powermatic 2000 or Jet
Xactasaw. I'm leaning more towards the Powermatic 2000 but I know it's just for ego. I'm hoping not to spend over $2500.

Looking forward to your opinion."

What do you guys think?

It's over $2500, but there are a number of folks who've said the SawStop is a superb cabinet saw, which happens to have an extra safety feature. I'd think either of the two he mentioned would be nice saws.

Also, I'm guessing he meant to say 4/4 to 10/4 hardwood lumber, or else he's in bandsaw territory. ;)

If this guy runs a small cabinet shop, it seems to me that he should know the answer.:doh: :huh: :rolleyes:

You know Bruce, I kind of thought the same thing. I got the strangest feeling the first time that I looked at this thread so did not respond.

My answer would be that if that is all that you are going to use the saw for, ripping a few boards and cutting a few dados, any major brand cabinet saw will do a great job. As a matter of fact, a really good table or hybrid saw would probably do an acceptable job. I would find the best priced saw of the many major brands of 3hp cabinet saws and buy on that basis.

Also, I'm guessing he meant to say 4/4 to 10/4 hardwood lumber, or else he's in bandsaw territory. ;)

Maybe that is what he meant. I couldn't figure that out either as what does the width have to do with anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say the best bang for the buck is a used older Unisaw. Nothing against PM or any others out there. If you can find a PM saw I wouldn't hesitate. There are just lots of Unisaws floating around. Parts are available and when you get down to cutting wood (most) any saw does that good. Fence is more important than the saw.

Jeff
Always the rebel in the crowd

thank you guys for your suggestions for our visitor - my guess is that his shop is a retirement business? I'll ask him when I send him the link to this thread.

I appreciate your help guys.

G