Little Elm Bowl-Go Figger

Dave Hoskins

No telling on the public mind. I did this little elm bowl today. It's 7" in diameter, 3" high and about 2 1/4" deep. Nice little nut or candy bowl with great spalting in it. I think it was posted no more than 45 minutes and it was gone. They passed up gorgeous pecan stuff and grabbed this little bowl. Who'd a thunk it? Nice bowl for sure but what can I say? Never know. And, I turned it out of a cut off for a lot bigger piece. Scraps do pay off for sure.

Well its a nice honest shape, a very practical size, and has some really fantastic spalted figure. Well worth the turning imho. I'm quite fond of the rim treatment as well - that crisp edge with a nice curve down on the inside works well with the overall form.

I guess I'm not that surprised it sold well :) :thumb:

Thanks, guys. I guess I need to kick around in the log yard and find some more cut offs similar to that. Just amazes me sometimes as to what moves fast and what doesn't. I guess the timing on that was just right. Got it online, ate some dinner and it was sold. Supposed to rain today so I might not get that much kicking done today.

Congrats on the quick sale. I do appreciate nice things that actually get used, and this fits that category. Very nice and very usable. You must have some following online for it to last only 45 minutes. Was it a post on your website, Facebook, or something else?

I did get it on Etsy and one of my local buyers saw it, wanted it, and called me. So, I had to turn around and get it back offline. She's picking it up tomorrow morning while running some errands. She wants it on her Thanksgiving table with something in it. She told me what but I forgot already. I have a decent online presence, I suppose, but this is just one of those fluke things that happen once in a while. She passed on several similar bowls at the fall fair a couple of weekends ago. You just never know what people are gonna do. :doh: