Book Worm Gift - Thumb page holder

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was looking for a quick and easy gift I could do for some co-workers that I can do on the CNC, but these should be an easy gift to make on the bandsaw, scroll saw, or even a jig saw.
thumb page holder.jpg thumb page holder 2.jpg bookRing_1-e1440649115498.jpg

May be easier to substitute the oval hole for a round one though. I've attached the vcarve file, a dxf, and a pdf of the piece.

BTW, I kinda eyeballed the size of the thumb hole, I haven't actually built one of these yet, so ymmv. ;)

Attachments

• Thumb Page Holder.dxf
    59.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Thumb Page Holder.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Thumb Page Holder.crv
    203 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well, tonight after a quick power supply swap on my cnc computer, I was able to knock a few of these out.
2016-11-23 18.41.15.jpg 2016-11-23 18.41.50.jpg

Some of my favorite Reed'ing material. ;) :D
2016-11-23 18.46.29.jpg

The thumb hole is just about right for me. My wife tried it and said that it was way too loose for her. So I'll do some scaling and get some designs posted that are scaled down for medium and small thumbs if anyone is interested.

Darren,
If you carved out some 3-D thumbs to go in the holes the owner of the page holder would have two hands left to eat with while reading. Or am I the only one who likes to read while eating?

It used to be that I would talk with my wife while eating. However, there is no point in trying to talk with her now---Darn it she never answers any more.

Enjoy,
JimB

What I do

I took a pic of what I use. I like it very much even though I have a beautiful walnut page holder. This one is a strip of something, similar to BS belting, that I had in the scrap box.

The walnut page holder is beautiful, but the "belting" works a lot better.

I tossed in another pic that was in the camera. It is a sort of telephoto pic thru the kitchen window.

Enjoy,
JimBPage Holder from BS belt.jpgScullpture thru Kitchen Window.jpg