Wipe On Poly is streaking

Aaron Beaver

I am trying to finish up a bed and I am putting the poly on the side rails, bed was originally a toddler bed and now be converted to a full size. I am using Watco Wipe On Poly which I have used in the past and have never had an issue with it. I used this same stuff when it was a toddler bed and loved it.

When I tried to apply it to the side rails you can see "streaks" in it when you look at the right angle. I have not had that happen in the past, it's like it didn't even out after applying.

The wood was probably a little cold but I had the poly in the house so it wouldn't get cold, could that be some of the issue?
Just trying to figure out why it looks so bad compared to the rest of the bed I did a few years ago to see if you have any suggestions.
Also, this is a brand new can of Watco Wipe on Poly.

BTW, is there a temperature that the wood needs to be? Can I apply the poly (stored inside) when the wood is cold, like low 40's in the shop?

Last edited:
i havnt used poly in a very long time but most finishes need to be around 65 degrees or higher to flow or cure.. that means wood and finish not just finish.

more info TEMP

Last edited:
Not an expert, but my first thought was temperature as well. In fact, it might well be the temperature differential that is the problem. So I agree with Larry. I would bring both the finish and the wood into the warmth for several hours before finishing. If you have to finish in the colder space you can try thinning the finish just a little to help it flow and level. Just talkin'. If you want a true expert's opinion perhaps Dave Hawksford will chime in.
i havnt used poly in a very long time but most finishes need to be around 65 degrees or higher to flow or cure.. that means wood and finish not just finish.

awhile ago I did a thread on using my shop towels (blue ones, think they were the sellars toolbox paper towel rolls) It is my new way to do streak free wipe on poly, works amazingly well, I used an end cap from a 3 inch pvc pipe and put the poly in there, dabbed the bunched up paper towel in there and put the finish on, don't know why but goes on way better then any other way. Might give that a try.

here is the other thread from last year, might help
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?36549-New-way-to-do-wipe-on-poly&highlight=

Last edited:
I have to think it's the temperature of the wood causing it. Likely the finish is turning cold the second it touches the wood, making it a little more stiff and causing the streaks....but that is only a guess.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will bring the wood into the house to warm up the most, then move to the basement and then apply the poly down there. Will also try the blue shop towel thing just to see, can't hurt. Granted this will make the basement stink for a bit but we aren't down there a whole lot anyway right now, the toddler bed was finished in the basement at our old house, but since we moved I have tried to do everything in the workshop, just too cold I guess for this type of stuff.

awhile ago I did a thread on using my shop towels (blue ones, think they were the sellars toolbox paper towel rolls) It is my new way to do streak free wipe on poly, works amazingly well, I used an end cap from a 3 inch pvc pipe and put the poly in there, dabbed the bunched up paper towel in there and put the finish on, don't know why but goes on way better then any other way. Might give that a try.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?36549-New-way-to-do-wipe-on-poly&highlight=

+1 I too have used this method ever since Mark posted that thread. Highly recommend trying it.

Good way to do it. The cold will play a major factor with curing and drying. Foam pad will work also in applying.