Sales-Just Curious

Dave Hoskins

I am not one to discuss actual dollar figures in a forum as I find it rather "unprofessional", so I will ask in general terms. I was looking at my tracking chart to compare where I am compared to past years at this time. And, now I know my gut feeling was correct. I am way behind compared to last year and the year before. I noticed a gap on presidential election years. Has anyone one else noticed that? Or is it just me. I am just curious if sales in general are slow or again is it just me. :eek::huh:

Dave Not in the DC area, we are being hammered with work. Back to the days before the nation too it's big dump in 08. The changing season will bring large workload into the DC area with the new administration.

There are tools to see that sort of thing. One such tool is called a Purchasing Managers Index, or PMI This is an overall nationwide indicator of business. Looking at one businesses performance is not an indicator of anything national. There are many factors that affect a single business. For example, those lights that hang on houses at Christmas time that are supposed to look like icicles were a BOOM one year but a bust thereafter.

PMI:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pmi.asp?lgl=no-infinite

Your business could be down for a variety of reasons, Market change of interest could be a player, or there could be a dozen other reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks, Leo. The PMI I am sure is useful, but too detailed for me. Especially seeing my turning is not my lifeblood; just a hobby and good physical therapy. Just curious if others are seeing the same thing. That's all. But your last line is quite true. Never know. Especially with the general public.

I've not done any shows since the bust year of 2008, so I don't really have anything to measure against, but I do know retail businesses in general here in Albuquerque are pretty sluggish, as is the overall NM economy.

Glad to hear DC area hopping. Chatted with a friend in Mississippi and another in Georgia yesterday evening. Both said it is kinda slow for them as well. So maybe the theory of presidential election year is valid. Don't know for sure and probably won't ever. Certainly nothing going on that will make me shut down.

Glad to hear DC area hopping. Chatted with a friend in Mississippi and another in Georgia yesterday evening. Both said it is kinda slow for them as well. So maybe the theory of presidential election year is valid. Don't know for sure and probably won't ever. Certainly nothing going on that will make me shut down.

DC market never really drops off , presidential years are always much better. Being a native of the area I've never really had any bad years the DC area is in this bubble. Big shows are always promoted on Radio plus the big shows are well established and there are a lot of them between DC, Md and Va everything is usually with in an hr ride.

I've done the same 3 shows this year as I've done the past 3 yrs and this year has been almost twice as much in sales compared to last couple. The shows were attended by about the same amount of people, but just more spending. Everyone I talked to at the shows said the same...grateful for it all for sure!!:)

Hope it picks up for you quick Dave!

Thanks, Jeff. Well, if they pick up for the rest of the year they do. If not, not. I'm fairly confident going into 2017. Always have to leave a small amount of doubt so you can feel you beat it into the ground! :crash: One of my re-sellers is going to be expanding his line so will be getting more from me next year. The goodies will be going to several Bass Pro Shops. So, guess I might be needed to get some more logging done early this year to accommodate things.

Oh, yeah! That re seller of mine has been working hard for that to happen for a while. I've sold him a fair amount to date and figger certainly more to come. I am going to be trying to stock up on softwoods mostly for his stuff. He buys my pieces, then he does some laser graphics on them, then he sells them. At least that's what he does with the bowls. I don't know what he's done with the boxes. Forgot to ask him or his brother. So time will tell but you bet I'm gonna do everything I can to accommodate him. :thumb: