Deep hollowing rigs?

Joe Penney

Hi fellow turners: I was just wondering what is the best deep hollowing systems out there. I have be turning for a number but not doing any hollow forms or vases. So I am looking to get a system to do that. What is your recommendation? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Joe,
I'm not up to date on all the current hollowing systems out there. I bought mine years ago and haven't looked around lately. The first one I bought was a Oneway similar to this one: https://oneway.ca/products-category/coring-hollowing/Laser Hollowing System?product_id=463. Cutter options and space requirements for the Oneway didn't work out for me, so I then bought a Monster articulated arm system similar to this one: http://www.monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=262&category_id=61
The Monster did everything well down to about 12" deep. Wanting to hollow deeper got me looking at other systems.

My current favorite is an expensive articulated arm system called the Kobra which was made by some clever gentlemen with a machine shop. A personal tragedy had them off line for a while but I think they are still making the system on special order with many months wait time. If you are interested let me know and I'll try and find an e-mail for them.

Here are some pics comparing the Kobra (maroon) and Monster (yellow):
kobra-monster 003 (Small).jpgkobra-monster 010 (Small).JPGkobra-monster 011 (Small).JPGkobra-monster 012 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
My only experience is with the Monster systems, both the captive system and the articulated arm system. Both have been workhorses, although I prefer the articulated arm. I've comfortably hollowed 4" to 6" deep hollow forms, and I've hollowed as deep as 11 1/2" on a vase using the 3/4" boring bar, although at that depth I was pushing the limits of the tool and/or my skills. With a 1" boring bar I'd expect to go that deep and a bit more.

The Kobra system is a beast...the Lamborghini of the market. (And I'd put the Monster tools at the Lexus level.)

Disclaimer: I run the Monster Lathe Tools website for my friends Todd and Michelle (who make the Monster tools), so I'm probably a bit biased.

Well, I have the Lamborghini. But then I know the guys who made them and know the back story. I suspect there could be a used market if one really want to look hard. Mine if for a Jet mini-late, which I no longer own, but I can get a modification build to use it with the big Jet I have now.

Whenever I get it set up again. My tools have been in storage longer than either Bart's or Vaughn's. Sigh.....

I have the Jamieson D-Handle with various bars and it it OK. No real complaints. But, if I were looking for a new one I would strongly consider Trent Bosch's system, I've seen Trent Demo it and had hands on for a few minutes and liked it a lot. Kind of a hybrid articulated thing with a handle and the feel of a standard gouge. I know it's available in a couple different sizes so it depends on how deep you really want to go. Check his website to be sure and if you can find a video or something to see how it works. Just to clarify I'm talking about the tool part and not the video part (which is way cool also.) Good luck. All the systems seem to work if you take some time with them.

Ok this is good thanks. My next adventure into turning.

I was looking around and saw this system. , any advice ?

http://www.carterproducts.com/lathe...e-boring/hollow-roller-lathe-hollowing-system

My friend (and one of my mentors) Keith Burns uses the Carter system. I know he's been affiliated with them in the past (demoing at shows and on video), but I don't know if he's currently doing any work for them.

If you want, they aren't that hard to make at all. My dad made a few...here's a link to one he made and posted on the forum.

LINK

Your link didn't, Jeff. :D

Looks promising. Price certainly is good, given the competition. Be interesting to feel how smooth rotation on those pins turns out to be. The Kobra has bearings where I am almost certain this does not, but the price reflects that. The key to all these systems is how well vibration is controlled. Pictures are not going to be much help here. Hands on will tell the tale.

I agree with Carol -- I suspect the Simple system doesn't have bearings. (If someone knows for certain, please chime in. I'd like to know.) The bearings in a system like the Kobra or the Monster make a difference. I'd also worry that the vertical pin in the Simple hollower would be prone to vibration.