Turning exotics

Once again I failed to ware a dust mask. I need a small piece turned and the fine dust reactivated my congestion. Inow know for sure whats caused the chest pains. I went out and baught a good charcoal respirator for turning. I've just been using a dist mask but it's no help with exotics.

Lesson learned. Some of those exotics also cause contact dermatitis....rosewood gives me a terrible rash. Dust collection when you are sanding will pull most of that dust away. In the summer I use a fan on the lathe to blow it all out the garage door.

Last edited:
I don't turn exotics, only local woods. But, the fine dust from sanding can get a lot of folks even if not exotic wood. I hate masks so I do what Ted does on the fan, though what I do might be one step further. I have an old swamp cooler that blows directly across the lathe and then I have a 24" heavy duty variable speed fan that is set up to suck stuff away from me. Only when its cold outside do I not turn on the swamp cooler but will still use the other fan. Sometimes if it's bodark I'll still wear a mask because it just does not blow or suck away like other dust does. I don't know if exotic woods will give me a rash or not. I can literally roll around in poison ivy or oak with no reaction. I guess I'm just not allergic to much except pain. But, yeah if that stuff get you like that definitely wear some kind of protection.