Thread: Help me Buy some tools...

Help me Buy some tools...

I took the basic bowl turning class at Woodcraft in Jacksonville yesterday and am ready to graduate from pens. We used a Robert Sorby 3/8" fingernail bowl gouge. Had a little trouble with it at first but did eventually get the hang of it. I was riding the bevel (as instructed) but with my naturally heavy hand was heating the tip to the point of burning myself. I was getting a good cut -- really nice curls coming off (the instructor agreed).

Anyway, I'm looking to get a good bowl gouge and need some help. I've narrowed down the following:

• Robert Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge
    • Crown Pro PM 3/8" bowl gouge
    • Robert Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge fingernail profile
    • 1/2" Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth Signature Bowl Gouge

Most of my tools are Sorby's and I'm pretty happy with them. Questions I have are:

1. Are the Crown Tools better Quality as advertised?
    2. Regular profile or fingernail?
    3. Is the Ellsworth profile any better?

BTW: I'm signed up for the Hollow Vessels Class on the 26th

Thanks, Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Tony you can't go wrong with either the Sorby or Crown. I would get a 3/8" and 1/2" of which ever you decide with the fingernail grind. 3/8" is good for smaller bowls but when you go to bigger ones say 8" up a 1/2" sure is nice. A couple of months ago I bought the Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth gouge and really like it. It does seem to hold a edge longer than the others. It has a little different sharpening jig for it but it is a nice gouge. I also have the Sorby 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges with the fingernail grind on them. They are a good tool. I have the P & N 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges with the conventional grind on them. I use those as Mike Mahoney does for the final few cuts on bowls.

So as I said you can't go wrong with any of your selections.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 05-13-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with Bernie. I have the signature Ellesworth from Crown and it's my main bowl gouge. It's especially suited to rapid shaping and for hollowing the inside. I use a Sorby 3/8 gouge for some work around the foot, but finishing cuts are done with the Crown with tangent cuts and shear scraping as shown in the Bill Grumbine videos.

You can't go wrong with Henry Taylor, P&N, Sorby or Crown, based on my experience owning some shape of all of them.

Tom

Thanks for the info...

I went with the Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth Signature Bowl Gouge, WOW, what a monster. Cuts wood like butter.

Attached pic is the bowl I made last Saturday in the Basic Bowl Turning class at Woodcraft. We didn't spend much time on finishing, the class was about turning technique. Second pic is one I started this evening, I'll hollow it in the morning. I'm using Poplar, it's cheap and turns well -- good for practicing on. Next weekend I'm taking the hollow forms class -- this is addictive!!

Humm -- Do I see a new lathe on the horizon Hope LOML sees it real soon

Tony, BCE '75

Tony congrats on the new gouge. I really like mine. Man that thing hogs the wood.

New lathe huh? Well you could always sneak it in the back door.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats, Tony. Looks like you already know what you're doing with that new gouge. The bowls look great. One of these days I need o invest in some better gouges. I'm using the Benjamin's Best for now, but I'm looking forward to moving up some day.

BTW, have fun with the hollow form class. They're awfully addictive to make.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tony...............I find turning extemely addictive.....gave up cigarettes after 41 years .....they'll probably bury me with a skew in my hand.....as rigamortus will have set in and they can't remove it from my hand....