Help me Buy some tools...

Tony Falotico

I took the basic bowl turning class at Woodcraft in Jacksonville yesterday and am ready to graduate from pens. We used a Robert Sorby 3/8" fingernail bowl gouge. Had a little trouble with it at first but did eventually get the hang of it. I was riding the bevel (as instructed) but with my naturally heavy hand was heating the tip to the point of burning myself. I was getting a good cut -- really nice curls coming off (the instructor agreed).

Anyway, I'm looking to get a good bowl gouge and need some help. I've narrowed down the following:

• Robert Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge
  • Crown Pro PM 3/8" bowl gouge
  • Robert Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge fingernail profile
  • 1/2" Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth Signature Bowl Gouge

Most of my tools are Sorby's and I'm pretty happy with them. Questions I have are:

1. Are the Crown Tools better Quality as advertised?
  2. Regular profile or fingernail?
  3. Is the Ellsworth profile any better?

BTW: I'm signed up for the Hollow Vessels Class on the 26th :D

Thanks, Tony

Tony you can't go wrong with either the Sorby or Crown. I would get a 3/8" and 1/2" of which ever you decide with the fingernail grind. 3/8" is good for smaller bowls but when you go to bigger ones say 8" up a 1/2" sure is nice. A couple of months ago I bought the Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth gouge and really like it. It does seem to hold a edge longer than the others. It has a little different sharpening jig for it but it is a nice gouge. I also have the Sorby 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges with the fingernail grind on them. They are a good tool. I have the P & N 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges with the conventional grind on them. I use those as Mike Mahoney does for the final few cuts on bowls.

So as I said you can't go wrong with any of your selections.

Last edited:
I agree with Bernie. I have the signature Ellesworth from Crown and it's my main bowl gouge. It's especially suited to rapid shaping and for hollowing the inside. I use a Sorby 3/8 gouge for some work around the foot, but finishing cuts are done with the Crown with tangent cuts and shear scraping as shown in the Bill Grumbine videos.

You can't go wrong with Henry Taylor, P&N, Sorby or Crown, based on my experience owning some shape of all of them.

Tom :wave:

Thanks for the info...

I went with the Crown Pro-PM Ellsworth Signature Bowl Gouge, WOW, what a monster. Cuts wood like butter.

Attached pic is the bowl I made last Saturday in the Basic Bowl Turning class at Woodcraft. We didn't spend much time on finishing, the class was about turning technique. Second pic is one I started this evening, I'll hollow it in the morning. I'm using Poplar, it's cheap and turns well -- good for practicing on. Next weekend I'm taking the hollow forms class -- this is addictive!!

Humm -- Do I see a new lathe on the horizon :D :D Hope LOML sees it real soon :rofl: :rofl:

Attachments

• P1010075 (755 x 565).jpg
    P1010075 (755 x 565).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010080 (755 x 565).jpg
    P1010080 (755 x 565).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 12
Congrats, Tony. Looks like you already know what you're doing with that new gouge. ;) The bowls look great. One of these days I need o invest in some better gouges. I'm using the Benjamin's Best for now, but I'm looking forward to moving up some day.

BTW, have fun with the hollow form class. They're awfully addictive to make. :)

Tony...............I find turning extemely addictive.....gave up cigarettes after 41 years .....they'll probably bury me with a skew in my hand.....as rigamortus will have set in and they can't remove it from my hand....:eek: :rolleyes: :D