Turner's mock

Roger Tulk

I'm sure that's what my kids called this. They gave it to me for Christmas, to keep the wood shavings from getting all over me and in my pockets and down my back. It's a good fit, and pretty stylish, I think. I wanted something like this, but wasn't willing to spend the money myself, so I'm glad the kids aren't as cheap as I.

smock.jpg

You can see I was so excited to try it on, I didn't take the store tags off it first.

Gotcha! If you look at the info on the pic, you will see that it is entitled "Smock." :p No pockets, but I've always worked in a T-shirt so I won't miss them. I'm impressed that my son-in-law and daughter thought of this, as I had never mentioned it to them.

Very thoughtful gift from your kids. I've never invested in a smock, either. I do have a woodturner's apron, designed to keep shavings from going down my neck and filling my pockets. It does a great job of keeping the shavings off my work bench - 25' west of my lathe. Either I forget it or it's too hot to wear it while I'm turning. I turn in a tshirt or a henley shirt WITH a pocket because a shirt without a pocket is a blouse. I use my pocket and when I'm done, I take off the shirt and shake the shavings out of the pocket.

Steve

I'm like Steve on this. I've never had a smock. Probably ought to, but with my shop open in the front, there is a temp thing to think about. Smocks would probably make me too hot. I always just figgered that shavings all over me is part of the deal. I shake shavings out of my pockets or blow things out with the compressor. No problem. Might break down and get one some day, but the day hasn't arrived yet. Yet. Never know it might strike tomorrow.