Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorial skateboard display case.

Wow! That's coming along very nicely.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wow is right!

So what was the process? Is the case a bunch of pieces laminated, if so, how and when did you apply the glue?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I used 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. Cut it into 4.5" x 60" strips. I built a bending form and was going to steam the strips but didn't need to. I just used a spray bottle and wet down the center section of each strip. Then "pre-bent" them four at a time on one side of the form. (there are four total layers of the basic case). I allowed them to dry overnight. When I removed them from the form. they held the shape for the most part. I then just glued the first two layers and clamped them.

I cut two "J" shaped pieces and glued them up in opposite directions for form the oval. After the first two layers had set up for a couple of hours. I glued one of the J sections to the first two. I flipped them to offset the joints. I waited about an hour because I didn't have enough clamps to glue both sides at once. After setting up over night. I popped it off of the form, and it worked great!
    Last edited by John Pollman; 01-06-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Nice, thanks for the walk through. I've got a bent form project I'm thinking about doing and didn't realize the baltic ply would bend like that.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

John, that is coming out very nice! I would assume that all of the joints are staggered.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Definitely!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I feel bad because I spent a lot of time working on this shortly after Johnny passed away. I made a lot of progress fairly quickly. It helped me keep busy and gave me something to do. But it got to a point that I couldn't handle it emotionally anymore.

Celeste and I will never be "over" his death, but I am finally in a place that I felt like I could get back to working on the display case for his memorial board.

It's mounted, but now I have to finish fabricating the glass stop for the front, and then mount the LED lighting and wire it. It's getting close, but I'm not there yet. I'm engineering it "on the fly" with no drawings whatsoever. I'm looking forward to finishing it soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memorial skateboard case.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	98954

Said it already, but I think you've done an amazing job John, and I'm looking forward to seeing your creativity continue to flow on this piece.

Darren

It's a special project that looks amazing. Can't wait to see it lighted.

Take the time you need to do it the way you want it.

Looking really good John, the glue ups are incredibly tight looking on the bends.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.