Camera mount and OctoPi

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
As I've mentioned in one of the other threads I've been looking to use OctoPi (https://octopi.octoprint.org/), which is basically a RaspberryPi distribution (distro) that is setup for running 3d Printers. It connects to your printer via the usb cable and has a web interface that allows you to control the printer over the network from any computer, smart phone, or tablet. It will also allow you to connect a web cam to use for monitoring of the printer remotely and do time lapse captures of the work being printed.

I'm using an old Logitech C270 web cam for monitoring. I found a bracket for the web cam that someone had already designed to go on the A8, so printed it out yesterday.

2016-12-28 11.41.20.jpg 2016-12-28 14.08.07.jpg

This is a screen shot of the interface. One big benefit is that rather than copying your files to SD cards, you can simply upload your gcode file to OctoPi, then tell it to print it, no more transferring of the sd card (or having to mount/dismount it over and over).
2016-12-29.jpg

Here is an example of the time lapse, I had it do a snapshot every 10 seconds, and it compiles all of the snapshots into an mpeg file for you to download.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXzjeco0CmY

Sorry for the head ache on that, I'm probably going to create another mount to move the camera to ride along on the bed so that you can see the work piece better as it's being created.

Just a note, there is software to run the printer from your computer instead, but you'd have to have some remote PC software to connect to your pc to see the status of the print and see what it is doing. OctoPi is pretty light weight, took me about 10 minutes to install/configure it, and it runs headless (no monitor). However, you will have to download a few pieces of common software to format the sd card it uses and a terminal app, such as Putty, to do some final optional configurations, other than that it's pretty easy.

There is also an app called AstroPrint (https://www.astroprint.com/downloads), which is a fork of OctoPi they've added some improvements to. I haven't tried it out yet, but I've read that it is a bit easier to configure and have seen good reviews on it, but will be a few days before I can give it a trial.

Now that Raspbian and Pixel have been released on/for X86 compatible machines, I am wondering how this software might work on much older pc equipment, and would software like this run on it.
I am thinking that might be quicker to compile jobs on, but it won't speed up the printing. (or do you not set the jobs up on the PI, but use it in essence, as a print server)

+1 on the octopi.

You can have it do the slicing, but, I prefer using Simplfiy3d to do the slicing as it gives you more controls over supports, quality, etc...

The nice thing about using a raspberry pi is the form factor and being able to not have to run a pc to control the printer. And they are only what, 30$? Maybe cheaper if you shop around.

I had a camera mount on the bed, but the way I did it was not quite so smart as it interfered with the print head.

I just need to come up with a better way to mount it.