Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Sweep - Useful?

Floor Sweep - Useful?

I'm finishing up the installation of my DC systems and I have a floor sweep I purchased for my last shop but never installed. I have a place for it this time and was planning on getting it done tomorrow.

I've never had one before but often see them installed when looking at shop tours. Does anyone here have one? Do you find it useful? Waste of space? I mean, after all I still have a broom and a dustpan as well as a shop vac.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Don't have one but been in shops with them, great convenience at clean up. I sure would like one

I put one on each side of my shop - both are visible in this photo. They come in real handy when sweeping up chips and dust. LOML is especially fond of them since she seems to do most of the sweeping for me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCS_14.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	98057
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I have one but have never installed it... actually don't have space for it. When I was piping my shop I could have made space, but the shop is small enough that I don't think I would want to use the space. I think I'm just going to get a new broom... the one I have now is about worn down to just the handle and 3 or 4 straws.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

dont have floor sweeps. but have openings in the floor thanks to steve clardys suggestion and i used his.. great for clean up. if you have a place use it.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I ditched mine. If I was going to sweep stuff to a general spot anyway, it just wasn't that much more effort to scoop it into a dust pan and toss it in the trash. Benefits of eliminating it were three-fold:
    - I reused the ducting and blast gate for other purposes.
    - I got the floor space back that I had to keep clear in order to use the sweep.
    - My DC bin didn't fill up as fast.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Don't have one but been in shops with them, great convenience at clean up. I sure would like one
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I put one on each side of my shop - both are visible in this photo. They come in real handy when sweeping up chips and dust. LOML is especially fond of them since she seems to do most of the sweeping for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I have one but have never installed it... actually don't have space for it. When I was piping my shop I could have made space, but the shop is small enough that I don't think I would want to use the space. I think I'm just going to get a new broom... the one I have now is about worn down to just the handle and 3 or 4 straws.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    dont have floor sweeps. but have openings in the floor thanks to steve clardys suggestion and i used his.. great for clean up. if you have a place use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I ditched mine. If I was going to sweep stuff to a general spot anyway, it just wasn't that much more effort to scoop it into a dust pan and toss it in the trash. Benefits of eliminating it were three-fold:
    - I reused the ducting and blast gate for other purposes.
    - I got the floor space back that I had to keep clear in order to use the sweep.
    - My DC bin didn't fill up as fast.
    A hung jury.

Well, where I was going to put it is space in front of a cabinet that I would have to keep open anyway. Though every penny counts $10 worth of pipe and blast gate won't break me and I have 5 other "flexible" ports (those not connected to stationary machines) to choose from around the shop. So, I think I'll install it and then see how much I actually use it. Maybe I can comment on the next thread about how useful they are.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

dont have floor sweeps. but have openings in the floor ...
    My floor sweeps keep me from having to sweep dust under the floor mats.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

i will change my vote to holes in floor but not floor sweeps so that should help yu out rennie.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

i will change my vote to holes in floor but not floor sweeps so that should help yu out rennie.
    Got jackhammer?