Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor Sweep - Useful?

As some have pointed out here its just as easy to pick up the pile with a dust pan. That aside, the problem or potential problem I see with a floor sweep is the very real possibility of objects being sucked up into the system that you don't want. ie a nail or screw packaging a larger chunk of wood than you should safely send up the pipe etc. metal may not only spark which could trigger a dc fire or worse an explosion with the dust it also damages the impeller as will larger pieces of wood that are light enough to make it up the pipe.
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    ... That aside, the problem or potential problem I see with a floor sweep is the very real possibility of objects being sucked up into the system that you don't want. ie a nail or screw packaging a larger chunk of wood than you should safely send up the pipe etc. ...
    A piece of 1/2" grid screen eliminates the issue.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

In my last shop I had one, the shop before that I had 2. When I had 2, I didn't have a lathe, and they got used very little. Pretty much the same reasons already mentioned, the main one being it's so easy to pick up a dust pan and through the stuff in the trash. Also, my chips became mulch around the tress and what not and the sometimes trashy things made it look unsightly. In the last shop I had one right where the lathe sit, and it got used all the time for the shavings. Problem was the store bought plastic sweeps would clog due to their close floor clearance. So I used a 6x4x12 HVAC boot and solved that problem. The shop I'm now trying to set up (my last one, ever) will have 2: one at the lathe and one for general cleanup...but I doubt that one will be used much.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be (Merle Haggard; 1939-2016)

the problem or potential problem I see with a floor sweep is the very real possibility of objects being sucked up into the system that you don't want. ie a nail or screw packaging a larger chunk of wood than you should safely send up the pipe etc. ... it also damages the impeller as will larger pieces of wood that are light enough to make it up the pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I think having the cyclone addresses that issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fred hargis View Post
    In my last shop I had one, the shop before that I had 2. When I had 2, I didn't have a lathe, and they got used very little. Pretty much the same reasons already mentioned, the main one being it's so easy to pick up a dust pan and through the stuff in the trash. Also, my chips became mulch around the tress and what not and the sometimes trashy things made it look unsightly. In the last shop I had one right where the lathe sit, and it got used all the time for the shavings. Problem was the store bought plastic sweeps would clog due to their close floor clearance. So I used a 6x4x12 HVAC boot and solved that problem. The shop I'm now trying to set up (my last one, ever) will have 2: one at the lathe and one for general cleanup...but I doubt that one will be used much.
    I don't have a lathe but the location of my sweep is where I expect to have the greatest need just the same. I do have one of the plastic sweeps though. I'll have to try it out and see if I run into the same issues. If so, there are numerous designs out there for shop made versions.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

As some have pointed out here its just as easy to pick up the pile with a dust pan. That aside, the problem or potential problem I see with a floor sweep is the very real possibility of objects being sucked up into the system that you don't want. ie a nail or screw packaging a larger chunk of wood than you should safely send up the pipe etc. metal may not only spark which could trigger a dc fire or worse an explosion with the dust it also damages the impeller as will larger pieces of wood that are light enough to make it up the pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I think having the cyclone addresses that issue as well.
    A cyclone addresses the issue of impeller damage for sure. There is a possibility (however remote) that a small cutoff might twist and get lodged in a section of duct. Saying that, I don't have screen on my floor sweeps but I pick up anything I don't want going through to my DC.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Think of the fun you can have by putting some cheese just inside the sweep and waiting for them varmint mice to sneak up to it....
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Think of the fun you can have by putting some cheese just inside the sweep and waiting for them varmint mice to sneak up to it....
    That is so devious, cruel, heartless, and evil.

I like it!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

the caveat to the 1/2" grid is the clog easily with shavings this eliminating any time saving advantage
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

If you have a single stage dust collector (the chips go through the impeller), a floor sweep is not recommended, since an inadvertent piece of metal can create a spark that smoulders in the bag until after you leave the shop.

If you have a cyclone, the chips drop out before the impeller, so the floor sweep is not a problem.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com