Cabinet Drawer Hardware

Hi Peeps,
I am refacing all my cabinets, new doors and drawer fronts. I am making them the same style as old ones but in Curly Maple. On the drawers I am using the old box just new front. My question is the current box is a single underneath single slide. I want to put new slides under them. Can I update from single center slide to dual underneath slides? I would like soft close slides. I only have 1 drawer that has lots of weight and that slide break (single center) breaks all the time. Thoughts?

Also any places you might suggest where to buy them. I 10 drawers and 22 doors to make. I need to watch cost somewhat. Also good place to get door hinges and all new pulls too!
Thanks
Mike

Mike...Welcome aboard. Glad you found us. I can't help with your question, but am also interested in whatever answers come your way. There are some experienced folks on here who should be able to help with some answers.

With regard to the slide; if the space requirement for the dual slide is the same as for the single slide, there should be no problem. As to hardware, I have found some great deals by watching Amazon and Lee Valley. More than a year ago I bought a whole lot real brass pulls from Lee Valley for pennies on the dollar because they were discontinuing them. I will be ready for the new kitchen build that is to happen this year. I also bought some pulls off of Amazon for 63 cents a pop for shop cabinets. Hinges are as important as slides. They get a lot of use so quality is important here. There are specialty suppliers. Google will help. Avoid the borg 'deals'. No quality there. Blum is a top brand in this department. There are others. Hope that points you in a good direction.

Welcome aboard Mike! :wave:

I've bought some hardware from amazon, but most I've ordered from http://www.wwhardware.com/ They do have price discounts for bulk order of items, but shop around they may not be the lowest on everything. I tend to order a lot of the 100 lb drawer glides from them in bulk and have found them to be about the cheapest.

Last edited:
Another source is http://woodworker.com I found their prices conferable or cheaper sometimes. Being a cheapskate i always figure in the shipping cost before getting the wallet out. You might just figure out what brand/spec. slide you want and do a specific search for that slide "cheapest price"

I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel also. Only it is my kids doing a re-surface of tired old poor construction for their mother. I am allowing it because I want them to learn from the experience and because we are not sure if we are keeping the house for much longer.

The curly maple sounds awesome. You are in my wheel house with that. Are the fronts solid wood or veneer? Just wondering because of the issue with the variation in curl width and look between logs. I once had 20 curly maple logs lined up and was negotiating with the owner to purchase one or 2. Every log was different with some close in similar curl. (the curl 'ribbon' will vary from 1/8th inch to 1/2 inch wide generally.) I am conflicted trying to decide if I like curl or birdseye better.

Sources for hinges and slides: I have found my local hardwood lumber yards have as good or better price on Blum and other name brands, than I can get mail order on the web. It may be local competition (we have three major lumber yards) but the good prices have been normal for 10+ years. European hinges are scary to buy, and sometimes you buy the plates separately, so see my web page at www.solowoodworker.com/wood/hinges.html

Drawer slides are similar - see your lumber yard. Accuride and KV are the premium brands, but there are a lot of look-alikes. Side mount slides are sturdy but require a 1/2 inch clearance on each side. Under-mount are fancy, expensive, confusing to install, but oh so nice. However, they waste more vertical space than side space. My rantings on drawer slides are at www.solowoodworker.com/wood/drawers.html . I fear it may be complex to switch types of slides because of clearances required.

I agree with earlier comments that you want to avoid Home Depot and Lowe's and similar stores for hinges and slides.

When you buy hinges and slides at the lumber yard, you have to buy the hardware separately... 5/8" #6 flat head. Get a box of them.

Thanks Carol, I had no idea. I don't know where they are made either. I noticed they make the cheap side mount type and I pretty much hate on those. I do try when feasible to err to the side of quality. You might call it "airplane quality". Not a good thing when the wings fall off at 30,000 ft. :D

Thank You all for the ideas and suggestions. I will be checking all of them out! I went to the wood shop this afternoon to start pulling wood .....and our heater went out. It is only 11 degrees outside with a wind chill of -17...bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr!! Had furnace guy come over and the heater is shot. So didn't get much accomplished. I need to get a new. Well I think Im gonna get a new one for my garage and move old one to wood shop!

I will keep all posted on progress!