Where are the Beards

You guys got me on this. A few years ago I meet this big stature of a man named Larry who sported a long beard. He inspired me then I realized a lot of woodworkers sported a beard.
Now why is that. Something to ponder as your working a lathe , or doing some heavy sanding or anything that can nest in the interweaving of the beard, Food , now that's what my wife comment about not the wood chips or shavings. LOL

Attachments

• 20170105_090312.jpg
    20170105_090312.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 34
I wore a beard for over 25 years. After it turned completely gray about 8 years ago I began thinking that it was making me look old beyond my years. About 5 years ago my vanity won out and the whiskers came off. :eek:

I was clean shaven all my life (except periods of time in Nam). For whatever reason I decided to grow a beard about a year and a half ago. Still don't know why I did. Guess I had a fit of rebelliousness hit me. Still have it though I do keep it kinda close cropped. Of course it's for the most part white. Not gray, white. My family pretty much always grows white hair in age instead of gray. Oh well.

I didn't get a pic, last week was it, while on homestay vacations I rarely shave and it fills in pretty quickly. I've tried several times, but they usually drive me nuts after a week or so and it has to go.

I did sport a short beard couple of years ago. I had also shaved my head. Like Rennie, too many white hair were making me look old so I grew the hair back on my head and got rid of the facial hair.
IMG_0595.jpg

LOML is 4 years my senior. Her family gets white headed in their 30s unless they do something about it (which she does). I have a baby face. When I was in the Air Force, I always had a mustache, at the legal limit. LOML loved it cause it made me look older. When I retired in Jan 94 in Montana, I grew a full beard. I would start in Nov and cut it off in Mar. Still kept my mustache. Shaved it off once and was told not to do that again. In Texas, it's usually too warm for the full beard, but this year and last year they have returned. Never as long as the great beards showed above. When I shave now, I go to a stache and goatee. Here's a full beard of the past, just more gray now ...Lecture3.jpg

Wait.. so a goatee isn't a beard?!!?!

Sure, a goatee is a beard...but not a full beard...not a beard beard...nor an epic beard...and certainly not a ZZ Top beard.

But the handlebar is coming along nicely.

I also have a problem with gray...or rather, white hair. My 'stache and goat are mostly white these days with a hint of ginger. My hair is a darker blonde color and is only just now showing some gray at the temples. I've got a long way to go before things even out.

I also have a problem with gray...or rather, white hair. My 'stache and goat are mostly white these days with a hint of ginger. My hair is a darker blonde color and is only just now showing some gray at the temples. I've got a long way to go before things even out.

Sounds really familiar, are you sure we aren't cousins or something :D

The coloring (or lack thereof) was indeed one of the points of contention :rofl:

I did go down the "just for men" road for a little while, but then decided to give up on that.

I am getting older, so, that's life. Ohh well.

So now I just go natural, and I just don't care what others think about my mostly gray white short beard.

BTW - the goatee and handle bars look great.

Not much white here. Dad at 86 still has Black hair.
@ 63 still have a mother, late-stage Alzheimer's, still kind of telling me what to do. Shelly and I went to visit mom and dad last Sunday and I asked Mom if you knew who I was ? She said with a smile I think you're still David but the Beards got to go :)

Last edited:
When I retired in 2005 I also stopped shaving. I've only shaved once since then and it made me look older than I did with the beard, so it's back... the beard is snow white, and I'm finally getting a little white in the temples, but the rest is still kinda reddish blondish with a little whitish mixed in.
My dad died at 74 and still most of his color, but mom was snow white by 50. My last job, my boss was 12 years younger than me and swore that I colored my hair... never did.... and have decided hair is overrated anyway, so it buzzed off now.