Playing with wax

I'm working up a formula to coat an old pine table from Europe. Beeswax, Damar/True Gum Turpentine and Mineral oil. The less Damar the less gloss. I used the mineral oil to add a little more vehicle to the mix. I rag on the mixture give it a half hour and then hand rub the surface creating a low luster. I'm loving this look.
I use Damar and Beeswax 15%/85% for sealing oil paintings after cleaning and repairs.
I forgot, it is applied warm or hot from the melting pot.

I use Amber shellac 1st coat then wiped off with DA , I didn't want much of the material but the color.
2nd coat Clear Shellac and then sanded
Today added the 1st coat of the Encaustic finish, wiped on and wiped off. One thing you don't want with encaustic finish is for the wax to dry before the next coat. So Monday the 2nd coat will be applied.

Attachments

• IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks Vaughn , Bob and Leo. I learned this finished way back in College in an advanced painting class and then again in Faux classes in the 80's. I had not a real use for it since it's is a very sensitive finish. My customer who brought this table back from Germany asked if I could do a wax finish. After pulling my notes and recipes out it was like riding a bicycle. This morning the wax has set and I buffed it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29
That looks awesome, Dave.

You give lessons? I should have enough airline points to fly east again this year.

Of course, i need a house done first. :rofl:

It looks gorgeous! I love the look wax gives. How is that finish for the client to maintain as opposed to say using a briwax or any other paste wax Dave?