A Simple Outdoor Project

Bill Arnold

Staff member
The application should pretty well speak for itself. :huh:

Bat_House_a.jpg

All exterior parts are cedar; two internal panels are 1/4" plywood. Mesh is gutter screen material to get the recommended 1/4" grid. Overall dimensions are about 24" high by 16" wide by 4" deep.

Bat_House_b.jpg

During dry assembly, the front boards looked a bit too plain, so I decided to carve the images with my CNC using a 20° engraving bit cutting 0.10" deep.

When it gets populated, we should have fewer issues mosquitoes and other small flying critters.

SketchUp Drawings

View attachment Bat_House.skp

View attachment Bat_House1_v8.skp

Last edited:
Nice job! I've got one of those on the back of my shop from the previous owner. I know I've seen bats around, but not sure If I've got any in there or how it is constructed, guess I should check it out sometime.

Check underneath for droppings, that will tell you whether it's occupied or not.

If you have droppings they make great liquid fertilizer. Make sure you wear plastic gloves and a mask. Make a tea and let it sit for 3-4 days before use.

Ta da-da-da ta da-da-da Ta da-da-da ta da-da-da, DAT DAAAAAH, DAT DAAAAAH, DAT DAAAAAH!! I have the wood to build one of these, I just haven't got around to it. I like bats. We have a few in our church, and sometimes they visit us in the middle of the sermon.

Ta da-da-da ta da-da-da Ta da-da-da ta da-da-da, DAT DAAAAAH, DAT DAAAAAH, DAT DAAAAAH!! I have the wood to build one of these, I just haven't got around to it. I like bats. We have a few in our church, and sometimes they visit us in the middle of the sermon.

Bats in the belfry, EH?

Oh, and here ya go!
TUIT.jpg

Very nice. Different style than the one I built. If they have no where else to go it will get used. I have a large creek with cliffs about 200 yards from the my house. Too many places in the cliff for them to nest so my bat box has become a wasp box. :eek: