Range Vent Fan Motor

Ted Calver

Staff member
Our Kitchen Aid range fan groaned to a halt this morning. Makes a noise like it's trying but the fan won't spin. I took off the guard and gave it a spin while the switch was turned on and it spun a few turns and quit again. New motor would run about $300. Anyone know if there's anything on this type of motor that a little lubrication would help?

Our Kitchen Aid range fan groaned to a halt this morning. Makes a noise like it's trying but the fan won't spin. I took off the guard and gave it a spin while the switch was turned on and it spun a few turns and quit again. New motor would run about $300. Anyone know if there's anything on this type of motor that a little lubrication would help?

Yeah. If you can split the case, there ought to be a felt pad surrounding each end bearing. They might be enclosed with a metal shroud. If there's a shroud, carefully drill a small hole thru it into the felt. Use a hypodermic syringe and inject some 3in1 oil, or some sewing machine oil into the felt. Put a drop or two onto the (external) motor shaft, too. Spin it by hand (power off) a few times to loosen it up. Once you get it running, it ought to be good for another ten years or so.

I've resurrected quite a few motors like this over the years.

I got the motor/fan assembly out, but can't figure out how to get these plastic fins off the arbor without destroying them. They don't appear threaded on and the dimple on the end seems to be part of the arbor. Ideas?
IMG_3529.jpgIMG_3530.jpg

I got the motor/fan assembly out, but can't figure out how to get these plastic fins off the arbor without destroying them. They don't appear threaded on and the dimple on the end seems to be part of the arbor. Ideas?
View attachment 98177View attachment 98178

They might just be a very tight fit to the shaft. Is there something like a cross-pin at the back end, to keep the fan from spinning on the shaft?

I can't tell from the pix - are the fans metal or plastic. Either way, they're gonna be hard to get off without bending or breaking them. Try taking the nut loose (not off) and then tapping on the end of the shaft with a plastic/wood mallet, or a big screwdriver handle. Don't use a metal hammer - that might peen over the end of the shaft.

There's a tiny hole on the back end, but no cross pin. They are plastic fins. I think it might require some sort of special puller, because even with a bit of WD40 the nut is really tight on the shaft. I'll look around for a specialty tool. No point in destroying the fans just yet.

Got it!! They turned out to be small brass compression couplings that came unscrewed with a little persuasion. It's all oiled up and purring like new. Thanks for the help Jim!

Got it!! They turned out to be small brass compression couplings that came unscrewed with a little persuasion. It's all oiled up and purring like new. Thanks for the help Jim!

Glad to be of assistance - and also glad you got it working again.

You said a new fan was $300.00. My fee is only $150.00. :D See how much you saved? :rofl:

BTW, were the bearings (bushings, really) shielded, or not? Just curious.