Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about smoking

That's fine. I am going to turn some maple in the spring (baseball bats) and I usually turn cherry. Don't worry, if I have any doubts, I won't use it.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    meat doesn't absorb much more smoke after reaching a surface temp of 140°F.
    I've noticed the same thing when the temp is to low while cold smoking, although I haven't really tried to quantify it..

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Good advice in general, but most of us turners avoid turning pine, fir, or cedar. We're more likely to turn maple and cherry, and in my case, mesquite. I've turned several of the other woods listed in the smoking chart you posted, too. (Great chart, by the way.)
    If you're unsure about the specific wood I'd also suggest avoiding including bark in the smoker chips. Not sure on maple although I suspect its probably ok. I know most willow bark has an incredibly foul smoke, although the wood is fantastic (even more for grilling than smoking makes really nice hot coals). Apple and pear bark seemed fine, about the same as the wood. Oak was a bit harsh and was work de-barking first.
    Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

Temp of the smoker is more of a contribution to the type of smoke. You want a "blue" smoke coming out, not a white smoke, the white smoke is usually a low temp smoke and will leave more creosote deposit (black) deposit on the meat, a clear/blue smoke will be a cleaner smoke and you get it with the chamber being up in the 225F - 250F range. If you're getting too hot, sugars in the rub will blacken also, usually in the 300F - 350F range.

Also, I usually smoke for the first 2 - 3 hours, after that I'm usually wrapping things up and letting them just cook.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I smoke meats and depending on the variety and cut go different times. While I do sometimes use "smoking chunks" it is not entirely true to norm. Because I use an attached wood fired stove for heat. So what I do is keep an eye on the outside of the meat and wrap it when it reaches a desired color. I don't particularly like a real black crust. Because I usually do a rub that has lots of spices, I don't want the spices to get real burnt, they lose to much flavor. The size of my stove allows me to have a hot fire and yet not have the stove cooking area too hot. Brisket requires this and lots of attendance and several beers to go the distance. Long and slow is the game. Some day I'm going to throw a hog on this grill and will need to recruit some help to keep me awake.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)