How windy is it?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
How windy was in in SW MI yesterday?

Well, the 40MPH gusts teamed up with the icy rain to make the surface of our dock a skating rink, which the adirondack chairs made excellent use of and slid off the dock into the river. Rather than sink in the shallow water where they could be retrieved they seem to have rather floated somewhere downstream. Pity. One of those I built over 16 years ago.

Add one more item to the build list! :(:doh: I knew I should have brought them up to the shed when the warm weather was over.

01b51805c1591a632bb9a8eadfd70e1d242cc5603f (2).jpg

Well we just wanted you to know how weather is here in Michigan, so far since you moved here you have witnessed...well...a lot:rofl: didn't know you would see it all in such a short time span, welcome to Michigan Rennie, wait 5 minutes, it WILL change:p sorry about the chair, but now you have an unexpected project to break in that new shop:)

That's a heck of a thing to have happen, Rennie! I'm sure you can get replacements done in a timely manner. I know that doesn't offset the loss of something you felt was an "old friend", but you'll get 'er done!

Of course, since you mentioned wind and ice, I have to mention that I spent an hour or so on my deck removing protective coverings from new parts of a printer. Oh, and I was in my shorts and t-shirt. Our high topped out at 86°. Yeah, it's January down here, too! :dunno:

Bummer Rennie. No use hoping they find their way home. ;)

We also had one crazy wind blast through here. It literally blew a tree in half. Diameter at break is min 6 inch some sort of conifer. Perfectly healthy tree. Initially upon seeing the tree i thought perhaps it was rotten. Took a walk to bottom of yard and nope healthy tree snapped in half ,thank goodness direction of wind had it land in my yard not on neighbors shed which was right below on other side of the fence. Got a job to practice chainsaw skills ;) on when it warms up.

We've had the winds like that the past few days, but not that cold. Whew! Texans drive like a bunch of drunken wild Indians when it is icy out there or even just slick. They like to go spinning around yelling "YAHOO!!!!" as they go spinning along. I don't envy you with the wind and temp combo going on. uhuh

Found one! About 100 ' down river, 30' from shore and snagged on a submerged limb... where it will stay till spring. This is the double chair that was store bought and was not that well built to begin with. I'm sure a few days being fully submerged has not improved it in any way. Really not worth trying to pull it out at this time. The other is probably further downstream somewhere.
8cd493872d02959eced880c8945ed872.jpg

Do you leave your dock out all winter? Doesn't the ice damage it? Most everywhere I go in cottage country here in Ontario the docks are built to be removed for the winter.

The "doc" is an old mobile home steel frame bolted to 4" steel pipes pounded into the riverbed. Not going anywhere. The deck is made up of 2 x 6's screwed to the metal frame.

Hey Rennie, you know what, We have ironwood growing in Michigan. You could build the next chairs out of that, and should they fall in, they should just sink. :)

I can tell you some stories about wind in Michigan. Had some friends go for an ice shanty ride across a lake one time. Scared one guy so much he won't venture out onto the ice anymore.

Like Larry said, just wait 5 min. and the weather will change. We had thunder and lightening in January this year. I've seen it change from 80 degrees to 39 in one day with snow and sleet, in June.