Bill A's A8 Printer Build

What I mean is, put a file on the SD card, plug it into the Anet board, then using the buttons and display on the anet, verify you can see the file using the sd card functionality on the anet.

Then see if you can upload to it from the octopi.

And yep, The files on the octopi do get loaded directly to the pi and stored on it's filesystem.

I just checked the OctoPrint page on Github. The SD issue is mentioned several times over the past few years - as soon as about a year ago. It seems they think they fixed the problem in image 0.13.0, which is the one I downloaded. It's not fixed, so I submitted an issue on it.

What I mean is, put a file on the SD card, plug it into the Anet board, then using the buttons and display on the anet, verify you can see the file using the sd card functionality on the anet. ...

I was copying files to the Anet SD using Repetier via USB before getting Octopi going. I could add and delete with no problem.

Ahh, Good deal.

I am on version [FONT=&quot]Version: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1.3.0.post1+g1014712 (master branch[/FONT] and it works for me. Must be some kind of weird hardware/software issue.

But once you use octopi, There really isn't much reason to use the sd card on the anet anymore.

Ahh, Good deal.

I am on version Version: 1.3.0.post1+g1014712 (master branch and it works for me. Must be some kind of weird hardware/software issue.

But once you use octopi, There really isn't much reason to use the sd card on the anet anymore.

How do I check the specific version I have? I downloaded it at https://octopi.octoprint.org/

One thing I have to get in my head is my desktop PC is simply a client of the server running on the RPi. If I turn off my PC, the job still runs.

Lower left hand corner of the octopi page in your browser.

And that is the great thing. The pi is running everything. You can control/monitor it from your pc, a tablet, your phone, etc...

I did try the sd card upload and got the same results as Brent, really slow to do, so won't be using it again. I really don't see a need to, the RPi is dedicated to the printer for the purpose of controlling it.

I did find out that if you want to use folders on Octopi, you have to click the wrench icon, and uncheck the "Hide folders without files" option, checked by default. You can then go into folders you create to upload files. I've got a test folder setup with the file I use for testing the bed leveling.
fileoption.PNG

Lower left hand corner of the octopi page in your browser.

And that is the great thing. The pi is running everything. You can control/monitor it from your pc, a tablet, your phone, etc...

That's fine print, for sure! Mine says Version: 1.3.1 (master branch)

Yep, I'm liking this stuff more and more!

I did try the sd card upload and got the same results as Brent, really slow to do, so won't be using it again. I really don't see a need to, the RPi is dedicated to the printer for the purpose of controlling it.

I did find out that if you want to use folders on Octopi, you have to click the wrench icon, and uncheck the "Hide folders without files" option, checked by default. You can then go into folders you create to upload files. I've got a test folder setup with the file I use for testing the bed leveling.

I also have a "TestFiles" folder set up and put a few files in it for convenience.

No response from my post on github about the SD upload not working, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. ;)

I have some Logitech C310 webcams laying around, so I used one on my printer. Kinda nice to keep an eye on a printer run while sitting in my recliner in the family room!

Tension Screw

Nice. BTW, you can turn off the octopi watermark on the videos in the settings.

I'll take care of that when the current run finishes.

I figured out why I had an issue with the bed not staying level. When I changed filament, I was putting pressure on the left Z-axis lead screw causing it to run down a bit. Now, I'm more careful about squeezing the extruder drive and am also measuring the Z-axis distances after a change.

Something I've noticed on many of the Thingy drawings is their orientation seems kinda crazy. For instance, the screw I printed was drawn with one flat edge of the head against the bed and the threads hanging in mid-air. I rotated it and other parts so a larger area was against the bed and no supports were required. Any idea why parts are drawn like that by some folks?

Any idea why parts are drawn like that by some folks?

A lot of people use different tools for drawing things and orientation in those tools are not really all that important to how it prints.

I always load mine into the slicer and make sure it's in an orientation that makes sesne.

One thing that always gets me is when I try to edit an STL file in Sketchup. There can be a lot of 'extra' lines that just aren't needed. It's due to the way different tools render the stl files. It can make things really difficult to edit.

Fortunately, there are some tools that can be used to clean that up.

Of course, what I just really need to do is suck it up and learn how to use openscad. A lot of the 'parametric' designs on thingiverse include the scad files, so I'm guessing that would be a much better way to edit them.

One thing that Brent mentioned to me and I'm just now starting to do it with a new spool I'm putting on, is to weigh it before starting to use it. It's supposed to be a 1kg spool, but with the weight of the spool, it tops out at 1240g. This is useful info as with each drawing done by the slicer software usually gives an estimate of how much filament it will use in length and weight, so you'll be able to see if you have enough on the spool towards the end. BTW, I'm currently using an Inland filament, so that spool itself weighs about 240g. I know you're using that brand as well, so should give you a ball park for any you've started using. ;)

Good point, Darren. I finally started doing some larger items, like the front brace I have running now, which is estimated at 22.06m. I'd hate to have to pull that much off a reel to verify there's enough. Time to invest in an accurate scale for that range of measurement.

I just ordered this one from Amazon.

Being able to keep track of a print like this
Screenshot 2017-01-28 16.41.17.jpg
sure can make one lazy! Of course, I could be doing other things in my shop, but it's nice sitting here in my easy chair by the fireplace since it's turned kinda cool around here. :thumb: