Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selecting the Right Nova Jaws for Longworth Chuck

Well I was hoping to attach the longworth chuck onto a small faceplate..hoping holes would match up ..May have to go to machine shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Well I was hoping to attach the longworth chuck onto a small faceplate..hoping holes would match up ..May have to go to machine shop...
    I finally got to finish this one up.I turned a piece of wood between centers to get it to size so I could hold it in my chuck. (It was oversize for now.I left plenty to turn it down to size and true it up) Then put the wood into the chuck with the aluminum disk mounted to it. I turned it..... the aluminum disk... to size so it would fit the chuck. I then put it back together and it appears to be good to go....With it together. The longworth chuck seems to have a slight bit of runout...just a slight wobble.. but I think it would be about the same if I had gone to a machine shop....I will be using it at low speeds to clean up the bottom of bowls so it wont be a problem...

I hope all that works out for you, Mike. I looked at those Longworth chucks and honestly decided against them. I prefer and use two different sizes of Cole Jaws and have zero problems. Well, that's not totally honest. I do have a problem with the 8" jaws but it's actually the chuck they are on, not the jaws. Got the chuck from Penn State and it's a piece of junk, but I have been putting up with it. Shakes, rattles, but at least it doesn't roll. First chance I remember to I'm replacing that danged chuck. I use the 16" set more often and it's mounted on a good chuck so no problems. Anyway, good luck with your venture and hope it works well.
    Create your own visual style... let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others. Orson Welles

Anytime spent learning something, no matter how trivial it seems, is not a waste of time.

It did work out pretty good.I used the longworth chuck at slow speed to clean up the bottom of a 13" bowl.Worked good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    It did work out pretty good.I used the longworth chuck at slow speed to clean up the bottom of a 13" bowl.Worked good!
    Good to hear it. With low speeds and light cuts, it should serve you well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com