Stop block fence

Mark E Smith

So wanting to make a stop block fence for my CSMS for awhile now, just couldn't figure out how to make one that was portable. I have a work table on both sides of my CSMS but didn't want to lose it, and any stop block fence would usually be fixed to allow a precision measurement, so work table gone in that scenario. Sitting around the shop drinking a beer trying to figure this deal out, how to make a portable stop block fence...hhmmm...obviously any kind of temp or portable fence is hard because even a 1/16 inch change in position is unaceptable. so how to make it repeatable and accurate, then it hit me, looking at an old sheet rock square..hey that might work...now at 60 yrs old and with copd, my chances of doing any drywall work is next to nothing, so using it is not a big deal, I sure ain't gonna use it any time soon..lol...but looking at this drywall square the top of the tee looks like it would fit exactly between the CSMS and my worktable, and registered off the table top, repeatable for alignment...hhmmm,,,so I gave it a try, sure enough, dropped right down in there, so I cut off both sides of the T square to 5 inch's (more manageable, all I needed) and cut two pieces of 2x4 to fit for support 1/4 inch below the table top and 1/4 inch away from the top (T square has L bracket) pic one and the best part is (Gods are aligned on this one) the saws hold down swings right into position to hold the T square down...lol...how cool is that, and because the table is in perfect alignment with the saw, the fence is perfectly aligned with the saws fence...so just need to make a fence and mount it to the T square and I'm done. A repeatable position fence and portable. Couple pics of what I am talking about, will post updates after I make the fence and the adjustable stop just ordered the T track and adhesive measure tape, Rocklers had a sale for 48 in T track for $19.99 and 5 bucks for stick on tape measure, once they get here I'll make the fence and stop, probably use Cedar for the fence, it's lite and straight wood and maybe use Walnut for the stop block, make it pretty...lol...so when this is done when I don't need a fence and stop block, I just hang it on the wall, out of the way and I have full use of my table top...lol...how cool is that... at any rate will post updates as I proceed...

IMG_20170118_140537.jpgIMG_20170118_140622.jpgIMG_20170118_140705.jpg.​

Last edited:
Well the track didn't come in today...but did manage to pick out a walnut piece and dimension it and sand it smooth, from this one piece should be able to make the stop block portion. Love working with Walnut, super hard and very pretty wood. I know my diagram for the stop block is crude, but it works for me...lol..better then nothing...lol...

IMG_20170119_155604.jpg

Last edited:
Well making progress ...T track came in late yesterday. Got everything milled up and dry fitted (t track not attached, just laying there to check for fit), still need to make a hole for the stop block T track knob, but so far so good...decided to route out a shallow grove for the stick on tape measure, used a small piece to check it out. So time to take it apart and put a couple coats of poly on all the parts...

IMG_20170121_113627.jpgIMG_20170121_113707.jpgIMG_20170121_113732.jpgIMG_20170121_113957.jpg

Finally finished my stop block fence. Turned out great and only have a total investment of about $25 buck, cost of the T track from Rocklers ($19.99) and some Starrett adhesive tape measure ($5 and some change) got it on Amazon free shipping, every thing else wood wise I had on hand including the old drywall square. Few pics ... hangs on the wall nicely, and I can take it down and set it up in under 10 seconds. Found out I really don't need to lock in down, but can if I need to with the saws hold down. pic of the stop block set and did a cut, then pic of the accuracy, seems to work well...think this is a keeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20170123_154948.jpg
    IMG_20170123_154948.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20170123_172029.jpg
    IMG_20170123_172029.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20170123_155401.jpg
    IMG_20170123_155401.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: