It's Friday Somewhere - 20 January 2017

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to be tied up and potentially away from the web tomorrow and partway into the weekend, so I figured I'd start the Friday thread a smidge early.

Me and the boys in the band are loading up three SUVs tomorrow morning for a road trip north to Angel Fire Ski Resort to play a couple of shows. This weekend Angel Fire is celebrating their 50th anniversary, and we're one of the featured entertainment acts. Friday night it's the full band (which includes me) playing at the "Gold Hat" party at the Country Club, then Saturday night the acoustic trio (which doesn't include me) is playing at private party event somewhere else at the resort. I'll head back Saturday midday, but the rest of the guys will be staying for the entire weekend to ski. (Part of our pay is in the form of lodging and lift tickets. I don't ski anymore, so my lift ticket will go to my bandmate Jeff's girlfriend.) Might be an interesting trip up there and back, since they're predicting snow along most of the 3-hour drive both Friday and Saturday. This will be my first show since I broke my arm. I'll still be in the hinged brace, and my left hand is still a bit sluggish and plenty swollen and sore. I expect my playing to be pretty sloppy and uncoordinated...about like it always is, lol. At least this time I have an excuse, eh? Of course for my first outing back with the band, it has to be a 4-hour show instead of our usual 3-hour version. Might as well jump in the deep end with both feet, eh? I'll have the ice pack on standby for the end of the night.

Sunday, I'm hoping to get my table saw at least partially put back together. As it sits now, it needs the the cast iron extension tables and a fence put on it. Due to space constraints, I'll likely just install the factory fence and rails. I don't think I've got room at the moment to fit the full Incra fence system (which includes the router table extension). I also need to rewire it back to 120v from 240v. I need to get the saw set up so I can help Jeff rip some laminate flooring for a project he's starting at his house soon.

So...what have you got going on this weekend?

Cast iron extensions and a broken arm? Yikes! :eek: Try nt to compromise that healing, Vaughn.

I am hunkered in due to the winter storm. It quit raining for a while today but it is back at it tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be the worst day. Hope not to have to venture out before Sunday morning. Then I hope we get a break but the radar doesn't show that quite yet.

Working on taxes and hopefully house details.

I'll start the day today (Friday) going to the doctor office for a T-shot. Then, I'll be back on my 3D printer setup and testing; hope to melt plastic this afternoon!

Saturday will be some shop time, mostly on the printer. Gotta get my head around the RPi interface and setup.

Sunday should be our usual routine: I'll prepare brunch for us, we'll chill a bit, then Bobbie will cook shrimp creole for lupper.

All of the above predicated on weather conditions. We might be dodging lightning bolts off and on!!! :eek:

When I saw the date in the title of this thread I realize I might have as little as 4 months left to finish the shop build and get a bunch of things done on the house before many FW members show up. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Today is work in the shop! Getting the baseboard down, hanging the doors on the DC closet and get started on the miter saw station.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be warm and mostly dry. Might install the new entry door.

So far I've talked with public works about potential accident and accidents that have accrued over the years , maybe new signage. Anyway the guy is off who deals with that.
I've received a few calls asking if I was riding the bike into DC today. NO ! Not that mess.
Biker yearly pizza party Saturday and then Babysitting Skylar ,
Jarrod's Birthday is today. 31 so I'm wondering if he will even show up. Still thinks like a teen when it comes to stealing time off.

Hopefully starting the laser build tonight. I got all the parts I had ordered and realized there weren't any nuts on the parts list I used, so got those ordered and they should be here today. I need to make up another torsion box for it like I did for the printer. Tomorrow we should have the Grandson and be watching him part of the weekend. It's supposed to be up to the 50's this weekend, so probably find a park to go play at and get some outside work done.

Last edited:
Today is probably going to be an easy day. Had a rough night last night as my right knee just would not shut up. Oh, well. Happens now and then. I've been playing around with making some dough/trench bowls out of elm and red oak. Been a bit slow going as I have not ever done those before. Using one of those Lancelot cutters for a lot of it. Also just doing some stock items building up the inventory some. Weather has been a bit too crazy with it's up and downs to start trying to do any logging. Have a fairly large cottonwood tree to go get. But at the moment I am going to drink some more coffee.

It's been a busy week, on the road to meetings every day and another one on the horizon. Going to hunker down to some farm and shop chores, make a couple of nice meals, do some reading and a bit of desk work. Generally re-charging. If the roads are dry, maybe take the '68 for a little run to keep all her old parts loosened up :)