Elm Dough Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Wasn't sure just where to post this so I decided this was as good as any spot. This is the first dough bowl I have ever done, so I thought I would show it. It does have some roughness to it which was intentional. The insides are not exactly even and the hand cut handles are a bit rough. I did want it to have a rustic appeal to it and I think I accomplished it while at the same time making it attractive to most folks in general. I only used walnut oil (two coats) for the finish. This one is 21 3/4" long and 11 3/4" wide. The height is about 2 1/4" and the depth about 1". Keeping the profile I wanted on the base I didn't dare go too much deeper. It does actually hold water and the volume measured at 1/2 gallon. For a first attempt I am rather pleased with it. It took a little getting used to but that Lancelot cutter works well. It did a nice job on the hollowing. Hope you like it. :D

Nice looking bowl. I don't quite understand what part of the bread making process it's for. Is it for initial mixing and rising of the dough, or for kneading and shaping into loaves? I have a Lancelot cutter, but I abandoned the project I bought it for, and it has sat around a long time.

Thanks, guys. The way I understand it Roger is that bakers use them for the dough to rise in. I think they put the dough in, and then cover it with a damp cloth of some kind. Ted, yeah at first it was not very cooperative. Took a bit getting used to. This is the first time I ever used one. One word came to my mind right off the bat and that was "aggressive". But as time went along I started getting the hang of it better. Interesting tool, for sure. And, glad I got it. It's gonna be fun.

Dadgumit just when I get my projects in line somebody has to throw me a curve. Very nice looking bread bowl. Now putthat on my list. So much to do so little time. Just have to do the best in 24 hours.
David

Thanks, guys. Don't feel so bad, David. I've basically put other things on hold while I do 2-4 of these. I'm working on another one out of elm and one from a bodaciously hard red oak burl. Didn't think a red oak burl could be so hard. This one is. Not sure how it is gonna hollow out. Might prove to be interesting. First time I ever had a burl other than bodark make a chain on one of the big saws smoke some. We shall see. They are fun to make, though.

Great job on the bowl. I have been using the Saburrtooth carbide cutters in an extra coarse and then a fine grit for my bowls and mostly work with mesquite.