Do you carry a pocket knife?

• Yes

Votes: 38 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sean Wright

Since I was a boy (in Scouts), I have always carried a pocket knife of some sort. I can't even begin to count the number of times I have used a pocket knife. It is right there with my wallet, watch & wedding ring.

When I was younger I carried a Wenger Swiss Army knife. This logged plenty of miles on camping trips!

My first job after school was in the rental-purchase business. I found that I always needed pliers, and both a standard & phillips screw driver, along with a knife. That was when I picked up my Needlenose Multi-Plier 600 Tool made by Gerber. I continue to carry this when ever I give someone a hand with a project.

Now that I work in an office, my every day pocket knife is the Leatherman Micra. Small, but with enough extras to solve most things I come up against (like tightening screws on glasses or fixing a jammed stapler :huh: )

Attachments

• Micra.jpg
    Micra.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 10
  • gerber1.jpg
    gerber1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 16
Currently I carry a Leatherman Micra too but before receiving that as a gift I carried a Gerber lockback with 2 1/2" blade.

Oh man, I've got a list of 'em. I've had and carried pocket knives since I was in elementary school. (I even carried a 4" Buck Folding Hunter for a couple years in high school, back in my backpacker/hippie days.)

I used to carry a Leatherman when I was working in the construction inspection and testing busininess -- I got one of the original models when they first came out. That knife bailed me out in several situations, including once to fix a faulty gas fitting in a hot-air balloon a few thousand feet off the ground. (After that, the pilot bought his own Leatherman, and always had it in the basket when he flew.) I've also got a Leatherman Micra laying around somewhere.

I've got a couple different Victorinox Swiss Army Knives, including the one in my pocket right now, which has the detachable 64 KB flash drive. (I've been through several of the little Victorinox "Classic" knives, including one that was lost then found in a La-Z-Boy recliner about 10 years and several moves later.) I've also got the Victorinox folder with pliers (which I prefer over the Leatherman now).

I've got a little Ken Onion "Scallion", made by Kershaw. (Spring-assisted opening...borderline switchblade.) Add in a couple Bucks and Cases, and several others of various makes and models.

My favorite "working" knife isn't a pocket knife, but an 8" hunting knife that was made by my grandad sometime around WWII. I don't recall the source of the steel, but he had it treated to make it hold an edge (which it does very well), and he made the handle from layers of wood, plastic, leather and brass. He made similar knives for his son and nephews to carry into combat in the war, and the one I have was made around the same time. (I think he made it for himself.) When I inherited his shop many years later, I found one other knife he had assembled, but not finished. Someday I intend to finish it up, then probably hand it down to one of my nephews.

I'd say I got my first pocket knife when I was about 8, a hand me down from my grandfather. Wish I still had it, but it got lost along the way some time, while I was being a boy.

I our family, you had to keep your knife sharp, if my Dad/Grandad/Uncle asked to see my knife and it was NOT sharp, I would lose it for a week, and of course, during that week every brother and or cousin would say....

"Hey Stu, can I borrow your knife.....?" and then laugh hysterically at you, cause you did not HAVE it :(

You learned VERY quickly to sharpen your knife and keep it that way!

I now carry a Leatherman, I love it, I have the "Super Leatherman", one of the first ones out, but I got a Leatherman "Flair" as a gift from the LOML, this one has a wine opener etc on it. I use it just about daily, feel nakid without it.

I'd like to get a new one.............

charge_ti.jpg

sure would like that one, the Charge Ti :D

Cheers!

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife ,small simple one two blades , two screwdrivers.

I have 4 or 5 (all the same model ) and when I need one I either don't have one in my pocket or I have three :D

I also have a swiss tech "utilikey"on my key chain , looks like a key but opens up to knife and a couple of screwdrivers

Lost count of the number of knives I own about a decade ago. Have everything from a 1" switchblade I bought in France in 1960 to a 12" hand forged riflemans long knife. My most frequently carried knife is a very old Shrade Old Timer single blade stockman lockblade. Takes an edge well, the long slender blade is very handy and I like the locking feature for safety.

I was given my first "Jack Knife" on my fifth birthday and have carried a small knife most of the time ever since. I own several, but the favoured one at the moment is a Leatherman knife that I have had for about 10 years.

My favorite "working" knife isn't a pocket knife, but an 8" hunting knife that was made by my grandad sometime around WWII. I don't recall the source of the steel, but he had it treated to make it hold an edge (which it does very well), and he made the handle from layers of wood, plastic, leather and brass. He made similar knives for his son and nephews to carry into combat in the war, and the one I have was made around the same time. (I think he made it for himself.) When I inherited his shop many years later, I found one other knife he had assembled, but not finished. Someday I intend to finish it up, then probably hand it down to one of my nephews.
My maternal grandfather (Frank Rosseter) made a similar knife about the same time and I remember very well him using it quite a lot. But, it appears to be lost. :(

Vaughn, would you please post a picture of your knife. I would like to see how close it resembles the knife that I remember.

The Micra lives in my motorcycle jacket. The other two live in my pants pockets 24/7.

A540_0098_Pocketknives_Open.jpg

A540_0099_Pocketknives_Closed.jpg

I have several of these little minimalist widgets from Columbia River:
cricket.JPG
One stays clipped to the dog's leash, the others are scattered around the house in handy places. There's also usually a Leatherman in the car center console.

I have knives all over the place some pricey some not. I used some working on airplanes and some to open mail. :rofl:

I have the Swiss Army knife that's three inches thick and even has a set of pots and pans in it. :rofl: That's in my truck.

The one I carry these days is an on sale Wally-World Winchester Special. :huh:
I bought several at six dollars and some change each, fully expecting them to break. The one in my pocket has lasted several years so I guess it was a pretty good deal.

It has all I need including a key to the shop and a mini LED light to see the keyhole at 3AM. :rofl:

WinchesterKnife.jpg

DT

My maternal grandfather (Frank Rosseter) made a similar knife about the same time and I remember very well him using it quite a lot. But, it appears to be lost. :(

Vaughn, would you please post a picture of your knife. I would like to see how close it resembles the knife that I remember.
Frank, I believe that knife is packed away in our storage unit, but if I can't get to it easily, I should be able to get my hands on the unfinished one. I'd like to see how many knives I can gather up for a photo shoot. ;)

To date, I've worn out a leatherman, still got my old SAK (still got the tweezers and pick, mom always said I'd loose 'em quick when I was a kid and she didn't want to buy me one. Twenty five years later, I point this out now and then, but she professes ignorance to having ever said that :rofl: :rofl: )

I've been carrying a Bulldog stockman lately, like it a lot, better than my Buck stockman with the soft steel.

The small lock blade I picked up in Mohave while working at Edwards AFB. It now lives in my desk at work. The Buck was a late uncle's given to me while he was still RV-ing around the country. I've had it 30-odd years and don't recall when he got. Comes in handy and holds an edge like no other knife I've owned.

Attachments

• Pocket Knives.jpg
    Pocket Knives.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
.... Here is mine, straight out my pocket. It's been used for everything, including a hammer. Have carried a pocket knife since before my teens. Usually gets replaced when I loose them. Have learned to have a new one on hand for when the loss occurs. This one is roughly about 6 or 7 years old. I prefer the Swiss Army Knives, a lot of the gadgets come in handy from time to time.

P1010167b.JPG

P1010166b.JPG

:thumb:

Last edited:
Spyderco "Q" knife for me. I have a few other knives but I carry these most often. I have a few different and always looking for a different style.

Sadly, I have to answer no.

Prior to 9-11, I carried a Swiss Army knife all the time. Since then, if I am caught with one at work, I get fired. It is easier just to not carry one, then to risk making a mistake that could cost me my job.:(