Smallish Red Oak 3 Corner Bowl

Dave Hoskins

I did this little thing 2 days ago. Sometimes you just want to do a small between other projects. The thing I like about these is that they are simple, nice looking, and they sell well. As I usually do the wood was sealed with walnut oil. Instead of a shellac finish I used a walnut oil/carnauba based wax. It has just enough roughness left to it so it can be called rustic. The basic diameter is 6 1/2", 3 1/2" high and about 2" deep. The volume measured 1 1/4 cup up to the brim. Hopes ya like it! :D

Ah, yes. M&M's. Them lovely and tasty little things! Guess I need to get a bag for photo purposes. I keep all the nuts and fake fruit in coffee cans out in the shop. This time of year the M&M's out to fair fairly well. Not sure about summertime. I will concede to the point and buy some next time at store. I aim to please! Glad all liked the bowl.

Hi Rob! Actually, it's pretty simple. Biggest thing is start out with a cubed piece of wood, or as close as you can get it. A bit off gives you a slightly off center bowl which has lots of appeal as well. Put one corner in the shaft of your head stock with no chuck in it. Just the shaft. Then take the center pin out of your live drive center and put the opposite corner in it and tighten them up some. Should spin nicely. Then I just shear scrape the basic shape and put a tenon on it so I can put it in the chuck. Then carefully shape the rest of the bowl. Go slowly while going into the corners as not to chip them. I hope that helps. I also do spice boxes with this shape as well. They sell nicely as well.