Shop Fox W1667 bench drill press

Mark E Smith

Anybody got one of these Shop Fox W1667 or know some one with it. Thinking about getting a new bench top drill press, was looking at the Wen, but noticed this one with the added sander function. Reviews are all over the place, ShopFox in general seems to be about like Harbor Freight...lol...they have good stuff every now and then, wondering if this is one of them things

I have the Shop Fox Radial Drill Press, and it's been a good performer.

The dust port on the one you're looking at should be good while in the oscillating sander mode - assuming you have the sanding drum lowered into the hole. For drilling, it'd be useless, though, because it couldn't function until the drill bit broke through the bottom of the hole. It might work as a 'vacuum hold-down' in drill mode, though. :dunno:

For the price, it looks pretty good.

Can't comment on that particular model. But, I get the impression Shop Fox tools are simply Grizzly with at paint job and marketing twist. IMHO, that is a good thing. However, I personally recommend you NOT get a bench top dp. Floor models are not much more expensive but that a far more versatile.. I have a bench top Grizzly and regret not getting the floor version. Good dp otherwise.

Decided to go with my original thought and got the WEN 4210. Don't really think I would use the spindle sander of the shop fox, and the WEN is a proven good DP. As to Franks suggestion, I agree about the floor model, but, I just don't have the room, shop is 20x20 and packed full, so bench top is the best I can do. my old DP was a 40 yrs old JC penneys model (tiny little thing)...lol...stop laughing it's not that funny...lol...I don't really use a DP that often, the old jcp worked ok until you chucked up a forstner bit, or needed to drill metal, then it was an adventure for sure, so going to this WEN 4210 is bit like moving from a toy dp to a actual real piece of machinery. Haven't got it yet, should be here next week. Will mount it in the same location my current DP is...which is another reason for using a bench top, the 4210 is as big as I can go, the foot print needs to stay behind a line extending from the fence of my CSMS so I don't interfere with it. I do want it bolted down as opposed to moving it around because I plan to incorporate the dust collector to it.