The New Bandsaw...............

Thanks for that Jeff! :thumb:

I see what you mean, and while that is cool, it sure would be complex to duplicate :rolleyes:

I'd like to have this saw up and running in a month :eek:

As it is, the top tilting thingy is going to be hard enough, the deal that comes with it will work, but I'm concerned about space, or clearance issues.

Cheers!

Stu, I had a similar experience with dealer parts mark-up.
I was rotating tires on my wifes car. I broke two of the lug nut studs. I figured no problem I'd just run to the parts store and pick two up. The price was around 1.50 the only thing they didn't have any. I called several parts stores and none had them in stock. I had to use the dealer. I called and was quoted 16.00 EACH.:eek: The parts guy said "that's kind of high, I'll let you have them wholesale". They only set me back 6 bucks each then!

OK an update, stood in front of the electric sun today for a few hours :headbang:

frame_clamped_for_welding.jpg
OK, here I'm welding up the bottom of the frame, the "H" part, the top, in this pic, is all welded up. I put a piece of plywood on the top of the bench, as I did not want to burn up my nice, recently refinished table top :rolleyes: :D

frame_welded.jpg
OK, here is the frame welded up, still some grinding to do on it, but by my measurements, I'm out less than a 1/32" over the total length, from the head to the bottom "H", so I'm happy with that! :thumb:
(I know the bottom looks smaller than the top in this pic, but they are the same size!!)

bearing_saddle_welded1.jpg
OK, I got the bearing saddle welded up, yeah, it is "Ugly" but is should be stout :thumb:

bearing_saddle_welded2.jpg
and so far, the cast iron is still in one piece (fingers crossed, touch wood!!)

Hope to get some more done tomorrow.

Steve Clardy, if you can get that pic or two of the top part of the casting, where the adjuster went, I'd appreciate it!:wave:

Cheers!

Heres a pic I sent you earlier in a email.

View attachment 8736

Only pic of the upper support I have found.
Casting is history. Probably melted down and turned into a steel fence post by now.:eek:

Hard to see, but there is a slot there for the upper wheel support to slide into.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.

There is a part on the adjuster of the top wheel, the tracking part, that I'm not sure what exactly it does, and if it needs something to ride, or push against.

I'll get pics tomorrow, and then someone with a similar saw might be able to help out.

Do you remember what brand it was?

Cheers!

Import model. Buffalo brand.
Made under several names if I recall.

Ok. Top knob and shaft is tension. Shaft has to contact something on the bottom to tighten.
Tracking knob. It also has to contact the tube, housing to track the wheel.
The groove in the casting, needs to fit loose enough so the assembly can move sideways enough to track the band. Seems like it was around an 1/8" or so.
There is a top and bottom to that bracket assembly. The shaft is offset, not in the center of the bracket.

If I remember correctly, the shaft was up to the top of the bracket when assembled.

[Edit] Looking for my old manual. Got it somewhere I think

Found the manual :eek:

Ok. Looking at the bracket for the upper wheel, the tracking knob is at the bottom.
The picture I am looking at shows the back side of the bandsaw.
Looks like the tracking knob/shaft contacts the back side of the upper wheel/band guard. [Upper guard was in two pieces.]

OK, this is the part.........

tilt_mech1.jpg tilt_mech2.jpgtilt_mech3.jpg

tilt_mech4.jpg tilt_mech5.jpg tilt_mech6.jpg

I understand how the wings go into the casting that Steve posted above, and I have a way to do the same thing, but this "tab" has me scratching my head :dunno:

It sits so very close to the wheel, I wonder what the heck it could be for? It does not TOUCH the wheel, but it is close. It is in a fixed position, it is on the tilting mechanism, it moves with the tilting mechanism.

About the only thing I can figure is that it might engage some kind of slot in the sheet metal cover around the top wheel? If it did, to what purpose?

This one has me really scratching my head.

Anyone with a similar bandsaw, please take a look at your saw, if it has a similar tab on the tilt or tracking mechanism, what does it engage?

Cheers!

I'm on it, Stu, no tab on mine. I'll have photos up in about 15min...
...art

ETA: Okay, here you go:

Basic 14" import Bandsaw... m Here's a view of the upper back, showing the wheel guide in those slots in the casting. I like the lonngggg shaft on the tension wheel, as it allows me to adjust that without banging my knuckles on the back of the saw. Wish it was bigger though.
00001.jpg

2) And a closeup of same. You've probably figured this out, but note the bolt on the tilt-adjustment that allows you to lock it into place. Pretty simple arrangement.
00002.jpg

3) And a view from the front...
00003.jpg

4) closeup (best I can do with the P+S camera) from the left side. The arrow indicates where the tilt-adjustment bolt is located.
00004.jpg

5) closeup from the right side of the front. There is no tab on my casting. The whole thing is, I'd estimate, about 1/16-1/8" from the wheel.
00005.jpg

Hope this helps.

...art

Last edited:
Hey Art, thanks so much!

Maybe it is there for strength, maybe it is a rib that just makes the piece stiffer?

As I look at the part, there are no "Wear" marks on it, or "Rubbing" marks like on the wings etc...............???

I think I'll just leave it be!

Cheers!