Behlen rock hard urethane varnish

Tom Niemi

Staff member
If I remember correctly, rock hard had been a recomenned product for table tops and such. The finish on my countertops (jarrah) that my son and I made for our kitchen is not wearing well and needs refinished so I ordered rock hard to refinish them. So now here are some questions, do you use the product straight from the can? Do you cut it? If so, with what? I plan to brush it on. So I guess I need some guidance.
thanks and am looking forward to any and all advice:)

Been a while since I refinished our dining table (still looks as good as new, after 10~12 years!), but I seem to recall thinning the first coat by about 25%, letting it cure for a couple days, then scuffing it and recoating (several coats) with full strength. Directions ought to be on the can...

Thanks Jim, I was remembering you being one that had used the product, on line info isn't much but will read the can when it gets here, thanks:)

Thanks Jim, I was remembering you being one that had used the product, on line info isn't much but will read the can when it gets here, thanks:)

One problem you're gonna have - the stuff takes a long time to cure. I think we waited about a week before using the table. Can you refrain from using the countertops that long? Joy would probably like it if you took her out every night for a week, though... :rofl:

If it has the longevity of your table it for sure is worth waiting to cure, heck i don't need counter tops to serve hot dogs for a week:D.........yes dear, where do you wish to go tonight:eek: