A Few Recent Things

Dave Richards

I haven't shown anything recently so I figured i'd post a few.

This was a drawing I did for the son of a friend who is working on his Eagle Scout project. This illustrates one of his design ideas for some planters. These will be placed along the blank wall of the clinic building in his small town and planted with vegetables. They're to be tended by a few of the nearby senior citizens so they are raised up to make access easier.

The metal tubs will only be about 14 in. deep so the boxes won't be filled entirely. The corrugated panels are not structural. They are purely cosmetic.

I was gifted with a set of six flight glasses and thought I should make a tray of some sort for them This is one early idea. I don't want to make anything very complicated but I'm not entirely set on this design, either. Besides, I don't have any spalted maple at the moment. :D will keep doodling.

Interesting projects, Dave. I always used SketchUp to create shadow diagrams to support landscape planning, particularly when dealing with multi-story buildings. I see a shadow on the planter drawing. You could show your friend's son the impact of the sun on his proposed planters during the peak of the growing season...very important in determining planter placement adjacent to a building and deciding on what to plant. Total shade vs full sun and the accompanying reflected light/heat etc. ...

Hi Ted,

Yes. I've done shadow studies for some projects and they come in handy. I thought about doing it for this one, too. But it isn't really needed for the scope of the project. The only location for the boxes is on this particular wall which is on the east end of the building. Another design idea the scout offered to the board approving the project has a short box instead of the tallest one. I suspect that might be the option they go with. they'll plant taller plants like tomatoes in the northern most boxes or maybe it'll be they all become herb boxes.

Try putting the runners cross grain on the tray and see how you like it - i did a sample set kind of like that with the runners in sliding dovetails cross wise and it looked pretty nice (although we decided to go another way with the project - aka sample #2 won). I'm thinking another set similar but with the runners a bit more shaped (small/short feet and wings). In the one I did the glasses just be friction fit in the holes when you lift the tray but would relax and set on the table at rest (assuming your glasses have enough bevel - shallow bevel glasses can wedge but a bit of relief on the bottom side solves that). I would be somewhat concerned about the stability of the design you have here if it got bumped. One other thing to consider on beer trays like that is you want no three way corners because they are hard to clean and crud gets caught in them and festers (not to bad but open/through holes are better). Do keep us in the loop on the design :thumb:

I like the planters, good thing my mom isn't on this board or I'd be making her a set :D

Thanks for the suggestions Ryan. i'll play with the design some more.

As for the planters, I sent these images to your mom. She should be calling you any time now. :D

Always amazed at the digital magic you come up with. Did you do placing of the drawings on the image of the building in Sketchup?

Thanks Rob. Will send my congratulations.

Brent, than you. As for the building, I imported a photo I took of the building into SketchUp using Match Photo which is used to set SketchUp's camera to match the camera used for the photo. Then I drew a quick massing model of the end of the building and projected the image onto it. I didn't bother in this case but I could have added another image taken off the far side of the building to get that side textured, too. After the building was drawn I started on the planters. I could have drawn them separately but since I was drawing with the Scout watching, I figured it was cooler to do it with the building there.

I thought I'd post an update to the Eagle Scout planters project.

The committee chose this design for the planters.

And the real ones were installed yesterday.

A few minor changes to the construction but basically they got what they were expecting.

Well Dave thats not what has happened in my neck of the woods. Our Scouts are now open to girls and it more because of it becoming a baby sitting service. So sad. I gave up Scouts when that happened. I mean i have nothing against girls but hey man this was "the boy scouts" girls have brownies and guides. So other day on one of our morning shows they have a "Scouts group" promoting a cause, and there are three girls and 2 boys and what are they doing......knitting.
Now sure there is a knitting sewing badge, but sorry thats not what this event was about.
You can only imagine the paperwork that goes along with Scouts here today because of insurance liability and now with girls oh boy it just makes me sad.