Bodark Burl Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Cut this wood yesterday and finished the bowl this morning. It was custom ordered for a new customer. He wanted the lip around 1/8" thick which is a bit thinner than I normally do but it's what he wanted. This one is 7 3/4" in diameter, 2 3/4" high, and 2 1/2" deep. Yeah, I know a bit thin on the bottom but very solid nonetheless. Didn't sound thin at all when you would thump it. The cracks did not go all the way through the bowl and were filled with clear glue and natural bodark dust. Can't even feel them after all the sanding was done. The volume measured at exactly 4 cups. I sanded it down to 800 grit and then sealed the wood with walnut oil. Then it was finished with Mahoney's finishing wax which is based on walnut oil and carnauba. Good wax to me. Nice thing is it was finished today, paid for today, boxed up today, and shipped today. Works for me. Hopes ya likes it. :D

That looks real nice, Dave. Congrats on the sale. :thumb: As you probably remember, I prefer the thinner bowls personally, and I've never had a problem with any of the ones I've made breaking from being dropped or being too light to hold the intended cargo.