Shopping for a new bench sander

Tom Baugues

I've had a Craftsman combo bench sander (4x36" belt and 6" disk) for many years. I bought it used on Craigslist for $30. A few months ago I broke the 6" aluminum disk backing plate and of course they are no longer being made. Have not been able to locate a replacement plate so I've decided that I want to go ahead and replace this whole unit. Looking for something about the same size but with a dust port (which old one didn't have). My searching shows cheap units in the "under $100" range (Harbor Freight) then several units very similar to what I have in the $120-$150 range. After that the price point jumps up to the $400-$500 range which is more than I want to spend on a bench sander. This little Craftsman unit did about everything I need in a bench sander so I'm not looking at much larger units but I'm kind of shocked at the price points. I would be willing to pay $250 for a good solid machine but there doesn't seem to be anything like that.
Anyway, here are some that I'm looking at. Anyone got one of these that they like or dislike?

Grizzly G0547
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Com...547?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Craftsman 21514
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-3-hp-bench-top-4inch-x-36inch/p-00921514000P

Porter Cable PCB420SA
https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-5-Amp-Benchtop-Sander/3163789

Last edited:
I bought a Jet a few years ago and don't like it. It is a pain to change the belts. Another issue for me is the plastic frame. It does have enough flex to it that has caused me some angst. The belt tool rest or whatever you call it is steel but it is located in a hole in the plastic frame. Not exactly rigid.
I really wanted to get a Grizzly but punted at the time because of the $450 price tag. Wish I had bought that instead. All cast iron and easy belt changes. Plus you can get it in either 1750 rpm or 3540 rpm.

Pretty sure the Craftsman sander I have is the one you linked to, Tom. I've not been overly impressed with it. Belt changes are not too tricky, and it seems to track fine, but it's pretty gutless. It doesn't take much effort to slow or stop the belt with moderate pressure from the workpiece. Also, the dust port leaves a bit to be desired. That said, it has served my purposes. At that price point, probably any of them will have some shortcomings.

of the three you listed i would go with the porter cable because of hp rating.. i have a older rockwell and it has served me well, i would check on craigs list you might find a used one, i know of one near me but i am 4 or 5 hrs away..

Not to dampen the new tool spirit but a wooden disc will work fine..

Shoooooooosh. Not so loud........ my wife is in the other room......No.... it is completely broken and there was no hope for repairs.
Actually, I thought about trying something like that but even if I got it running again there was always a terrible screeching sound as it ran plus it didn't have any dust collection port so I just decided to break down and buy a new one. I had some Christmas money I had not used yet so I ordered this over the weekend. Seems to be the same machine as the Grizzly, Craftsman, Rockwell, Rikon, Ryobi and several others. Minor differences between the many brands (mostly cosmetic). This has pretty good reviews as well. Should work well for my small shop use.
Wen Sander.jpg

Last edited:
I just don't do sears - have not in many years - but that's another long story.

The grizzly just looks too light duty to me.

I like the Porter Cable.
It's cheaper at Amazon - free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q0MXZ...00-dsk00-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-2

3/4 HP induction moter
Cast Iron base
There may be more, I just didn't dig all that deeply

I have a big 6x48 with 12" disk from Harbor freight. I use it a LOT, but just the belt part.

I also have a Craftsman 2" wide belt with 6" disk. I use it a LOT, but again just the belt. I bought it in a yard sale for $35

I have a Hitachi I bought on closeout at Lowe's as they were moving to Porter Cable. I bought it for less than a 100 and it looked like exactly the same unit they replaced it with from Porter Cble for almost double that. I am not very fond oif it there is a lot of plastic and you use a lot of room on the belt that is unusable because of the shrouds. It does do a decent job of controlling dust.
Garry