Mystery Wood Glue Up?

Mike Turner

I have 2 pieces of a dark brown wood.Size is 1 1/2" by 3/4" thick 26 inches long.It is a hardwood.When you drill in it wood just gets stuck in drill bit sort of like granadillo does.It might be a rosewood but Im not sure.Anyhow Im a flute maker and I have done the necessary routing to turn it into a flute. After gluing up I will have to turn the 1 1/2" square into a flute shape. Question is the best glue for this type of wood.I normally use titebond 2 or 3 but I wonder on this one.I wondered about gorilla glue but it would be hard yo impossible to clean up some parts on the inside that I can not get to once it is glued together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hard to advise without knowing the wood. However, I stay away from TBIII because of the ugly glue lines. Same but worse with Gorilla and, as you have said, impossible to clean up. Try TB2 on some scrap.

late to the party but i also agree with frank you might want to hit the edges with acetone first in case this is a exotic with a oily characteristic they seem to have.

Pictures might help with the identity. Some of us do use a lot of them foreign woods. This will get you closer to best adhesive. A lot of the tropical woods are quite oily, and some have high mineral and or silicone content. You know, that stuff we use to make stuff slippery. Wood is amazingly complex in it's mechanical/chemical properties. So here are the considerations; Cleaning the glue surfaces with a solvent as mentioned will help remove some of the oil. I would suggest testing this out on a few samples first. (thanks Frank) You can score the glue surface judiciously, considering hiding a glue line. You can call Loctite for technical help. They make over 20,000 products and should be able to look up some reference records. Loctite 420 (I think) is used to fuse cracks in wood bows and I've never heard of a bow breaking at the healed crack. This glue is rather funky and requires refrigeration, and will smoke when you apply it. I haven't heard of anyone using it for glue-ups but the point is, asking the glue manufacturers might glean some good advice.