Measuring on Google Maps

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I had noticed the other day that there was an option in the satellite view on Google Maps a measure option. I decided to test it out and found it to be pretty well dead on. Can see the distance show near the ridge of my shop's roof, which is 60' long.
GoogleMeasure.jpg

Instructions are at the link below, but it's pretty much right click on the starting point, click Measure Distance, then click on the end point. Can click the end point again and it will go away. You may need to rotate the maps using the compass as some pics have some parallax, but most work.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/1628031?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Yep, discovered that a few weeks ago then sent a note to Google letting them know they show my address 850' too far north. Don't expect a reply.

We saw a little VW Bug or something similar in small cars around LenoirCity a few days back that had some sort of mast mounted on top with what looked like a ball on top much like you see in stores that have cameras mounted... they had Google on the side of the vehicle. It was driving around neighborhoods, so we figured they were mapping.

Noticed the tracking mobile unit godown the street last year while working in front yard. Several days later friend said Google your address. There I was working in my front yard. Glad I was decent. Don't know if it's still there or not.

David

Neat trick. I've often wanted to measure a distance on Google Maps.

The first time I went to street view of my house, there were two cars in our driveway, and neither were mine. There was my daughter's car and my sister in law's car. We worked out that it was when my daughter was recovering from surgery, SIL was visiting, and my wife and I were at work.

We saw a little VW Bug or something similar in small cars around LenoirCity a few days back that had some sort of mast mounted on top with what looked like a ball on top much like you see in stores that have cameras mounted... they had Google on the side of the vehicle. It was driving around neighborhoods, so we figured they were mapping.

I think all the ones I've seen have been mounted on Toyota Priuses. They're not specifically mapping, but shooting images for the Google Street View.