New toys for carving

Rob Keeble

Look what arrived in the post.

So for some years now i have wanted an adze. But not found anything like i wanted.

Well found these on ebay years ago have looking at them on and off and decided to make an offer and it was accepted and rest is history.

They came all the way from Bulgaria.

20170217_202708.jpg

Then in the same line i wanted a scorp. Found this one on etsy but this one was made in Ukraine.
20170217_203015.jpg

Cant wait to try them out this weekend

Carving is a great winter past time.

Very nice. It's hard to get an idea of the scale of them from the pic, but looks like (from google) they come in a variety of sizes, down to pretty small. Can't wait to see what you make with them.

Very nice. It's hard to get an idea of the scale of them from the pic, but looks like (from google) they come in a variety of sizes, down to pretty small. Can't wait to see what you make with them.
Darren the adze are fairly large, bigger than i was expecting about 6 inch from tip to rear and pretty heavy duty thickness behind edge is 1/4 approx.

I was actually looking for smaller ones.

The scorp is really nice for size idea, the cutting edge is the circumference of my thumb.

Well had a short time to try out the Adzes today.
Must say when they arrived i was tad concerned. But after a few swings at a log, i got hold of a few weeks back, all of that concern dissipated.
They are solid and heavy , too heavy i thought. But they cut amazing.
I weighed this while chopping away with some test cuts.
If they were of lighter material then one would need to use muscle power to make a cut. In my view that would affect, accuracy of placing the cut.
I had no problem with nice clean sequential controlled clean cuts/strikes.
We have holiday here tomorrow and hope to try sharpening them tomorrow afternoon. There too with the handles being removable makes for better handling of blade during sharpening.
These three adzes sell for $70 as a set on ebay which i think is excellent value for blacksmith made tools.

Well had a short time to try out the Adzes today.
Must say when they arrived i was tad concerned. But after a few swings at a log, i got hold of a few weeks back, all of that concern dissipated.
They are solid and heavy , too heavy i thought. But they cut amazing.
I weighed this while chopping away with some test cuts.
If they were of lighter material then one would need to use muscle power to make a cut. In my view that would affect, accuracy of placing the cut.
I had no problem with nice clean sequential controlled clean cuts/strikes.
We have holiday here tomorrow and hope to try sharpening them tomorrow afternoon. There too with the handles being removable makes for better handling of blade during sharpening.
These three adzes sell for $70 as a set on ebay which i think is excellent value for blacksmith made tools.

I'll be anxious to hear about the sharpening process.