Router Jig to Mill Groove

Mike Turner

I am a flutemaker and I am experimenting some with a new type of flute...new to me that is.Anyhow I need to make a jig where I can hold a flute which would be a 1 1/2" square by 30" or so inches. I may at some point decide to turn the flute on the lathe to its shape and then cut a groove about 2" or so long in the top.I need to be able to look really good at what I am doing so putting it on a regular router table won't work for me.It would be good if I have the router on top and can look down sort of from the side at what I am cutting. Basically like a milling machine.Thanks for any ideas!!

Search for "John Lucas router jig". He has a handful of videos, pdfs, and forum posts that talk about various ways to do router work on the lathe. Most of his jigs are homemade but fairly simple so I suspect you could adapt one of them to what you're doing.

It sounds as if you are describing 2 separate operations, to cut the groove and to turn the flute round.

It would be quite simple the build a jig to hold the square blank and then cut a groove, especially if you use a bushing on the router. It you have a clear base on the router, it should provide a good view of the operation. Except that the bushing would not be transparent. Look for jigs that are used to cut dadoes.

If the groove is cut before rounding the blank, then the edges of the slot would be damaged during the rounding operation.

It is also possible to round the blank with a router by rotating the blank while sliding the router along its length. Last year I built a jig for rounding a tapered arm for a Wing Chun dummy.